Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (string). (import/data load, 11.2.0, LINUX)
ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (string). [message #510200] Thu, 02 June 2011 20:05 Go to next message
youngb912

Hello Everyone, I need your help as much as possible. Thanks in advance.
Oracle version 11.2.0
OS Linux
I have a table with no primary key constraints with some roles containing null value/duplicates. I then decided to alter the table to add composite primary key constraints on four columns (a, b, c, and d). I did this by using the same script that was used to create the original table but this time adding the not null constraints.

I then took and export of the original table. I now want to import the data to the newly created table but I am now getting the error: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (string).

I will like to perform the import without NULL. Is there a parameter in impdp that I can use? I tried DATA_OPTIONS=SKIP_CONSTRAINT_ERRORS but it didn't work.

Beside options using impdp is there a way to do an insert statement like this insert into table a (select * from table) excluding NULL;?

Basically, I need to load the data into the newly created table without NULL.

I didn't want to classify my post as impdp because both impdp and DML solutions are acceptable to me.
Thanks
Re: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (string). [message #510201 is a reply to message #510200] Thu, 02 June 2011 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
insert into table as select * from table_B where col1 is not null and col2 is not null and col3 is not null and col4 is not null;

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2011 20:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (string). [message #510236 is a reply to message #510201] Fri, 03 June 2011 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I then decided to alter the table to add composite primary key constraints on four columns (a, b, c, and d). I did this by using the same script that was used to create the original table but this time adding the not null constraints.

If the above is true, well, primary key constraint is not created when these columns are indicated as NOT NULL. Applying the primary key constraint will do that implicitly:
SQL> create table test
  2  (id number,
  3   name varchar2(20)
  4  );

Table created.

SQL> alter table test add constraint pk_t primary key (id);

Table altered.

SQL> desc test
 Name                                                  Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------------------- -------- ---------------

ID                                                    NOT NULL NUMBER
 NAME                                                           VARCHAR2(20)

SQL> insert into test (id, name) values (1, 'Little');

1 row created.

SQL> insert into test (id, name) values (1, 'Foot');
insert into test (id, name) values (1, 'Foot')
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00001: unique constraint (SCOTT.PK_T) violated

SQL>

But, making a column NOT NULL won't make it a primary key:
SQL> drop table test;

Table dropped.

SQL> create table test
  2  (id number,
  3   name varchar2(20)
  4  );

Table created.

SQL> alter table test modify id not null;

Table altered.

SQL> insert into test (id, name) values (1, 'Little');

1 row created.

SQL> insert into test (id, name) values (1, 'Foot');

1 row created.

SQL>
Re: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (string). [message #510300 is a reply to message #510201] Fri, 03 June 2011 09:12 Go to previous message
youngb912
@Blackswain, thanks for the quick response. The solution worked. I will follow the guideline going forward.

@Littlefoot, thanks for the observation - I mispoke. I didn't alter the table to add not null. I created a new table with the needed primary keys. I couldn't alter the table because two of the column to be used for primary key had null. While trying to load the data unto the newly created table that I encunter the error.

Thanks.

My issue is resolved.
Previous Topic: Repeating records (merged 2)
Next Topic: SQL Summary (Row to column)(2 Merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:28:30 CDT 2024