Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restoring RMAN Backup on another server (Oracle 10g, Linux)
Restoring RMAN Backup on another server [message #506618] Tue, 10 May 2011 05:57 Go to next message
hammad83
Dear All,

I have a live server on which Oracle 10g Database is running. We take full RMAN Backups everyday. Now we want to restore the RMAN Backup file from the Live server to another machine (which is going to be a test system). I want to restore the latest RMAN backup on the test machine (which is not on network). When I copy the RMAN backup set in the flash recovery area of the test machine and then use "list backup", the backup set is not listed. I also tried "crosscheck backup" and then "list backup" but still the backup set does not appear. Please tell me how can I register the backup set from live server into test machine and then restore it. Thanks.
Re: Restoring RMAN Backup on another server [message #506621 is a reply to message #506618] Tue, 10 May 2011 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
Chapter 7 Advanced RMAN Recovery Techniques
Section Restore and Recovery of the Database on a New Host

Regards
Michel

Re: Restoring RMAN Backup on another server [message #506627 is a reply to message #506621] Tue, 10 May 2011 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hammad83
Thanks Michel

The link you have provided assumes that a recovery catalog is used. However, we do not use a recovery catalog. We use target database control file as repository.

Any thoughts?
Re: Restoring RMAN Backup on another server [message #506633 is a reply to message #506627] Tue, 10 May 2011 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
The link you have provided assumes that a recovery catalog is used

No.
rman TARGET / NOCATALOG

Regards
Michel
Re: Restoring RMAN Backup on another server [message #506980 is a reply to message #506633] Thu, 12 May 2011 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girinaik
If you are using oralce 10g then it is possible. You just need to make sure that the backup location of TEST server should be same as your Production. I mean to say if you are taking the backup at \oracle\backup\ on Prod site, then on test server you should put your backup on the same location . i e. \oracle\backup\

prodution backup location:- \oracle\backup\

TEST backup location :- \oracle\backup\

and after that on test server you need to check file structre are same or not for datafile and redolog files.
If you are having same structure then on TEST Server

start your instance with pfile.

startup nomount pfile=''
restore controlfile from 'location of backup';
alter database mount
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;

If file structure are different then make sure that you are using below parameters
log_file_name_conver
data_file_name_convert

and rest are same.

Re: Restoring RMAN Backup on another server [message #506990 is a reply to message #506980] Thu, 12 May 2011 03:15 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
then on test server you should put your backup on the same location

No, you can restore in another location, the link I provided just shows this case, you might read it.

Regards
Michel

Previous Topic: RMAN
Next Topic: Clone large db to DDL-only db - EXP/IMP issue with init extents
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:57:52 CDT 2024