Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type on OPEN of cursor
PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type on OPEN of cursor [message #4240] Wed, 20 November 2002 22:57 Go to next message
Barb Switzer
I am new to stored procedures and need to call an existing stored proc that returns a REF CURSOR as a
parm (IN OUT).

When I compile the calling procedure via TOAD I get a PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type error when trying to open the CURSOR returned to get the data.

The stored procedure I am calling is quite large so I will only include portions of it in this message. Here is the definition of the procedure/package I need to call:

PACKAGE Ter_Meantimetorepair_Pkg AS
TYPE TER_MeanTimeToRepair_RefCursor IS REF CURSOR;
PROCEDURE TER_MeanTimeToRepair( ptBegDate IN VARCHAR2, ref_cursor IN OUT TER_MeanTimeToRepair_RefCursor);
END Ter_Meantimetorepair_Pkg;

Here is how I am trying to call this stored procedure:

TYPE l_cursor_rec IS RECORD
(
f_region VARCHAR2(255),
f_site_id VARCHAR2(255)
);

TYPE My_RefCursor IS REF CURSOR RETURN l_cursor_rec;

l_cursor My_RefCursor;

BEGIN

ARS357.TER_MEANTIMETOREPAIR_PKG.TER_MEANTIMETOREPAIR ( '15/NOV/2002 12:00:00',l_cursor);

OPEN l_cursor;
LOOP
FETCH l_cursor INTO l_cursor_rec;
EXIT WHEN l_cursor%NOTFOUND;

I get the error on compile on the OPEN statement
above.

I think it has something to do with the definition of the cursor and I spent about 2 hours looking around on the internet for possible solutions, but I found nothing that works.

Can anyone help?
Re: PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type on OPEN of cursor [message #4242 is a reply to message #4240] Thu, 21 November 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I assume procedure TER_MeanTimeToRepair defines your REF CURSOR l_cursor. If so, most likely, you open the cursor in the procedure TER_MeanTimeToRepair. Of course, I cannot be sure since you haven't posted the main functionality of the procedure. If you remove the following line in your code "OPEN l_cursor", chances are that it will pass.

MHE
Re: PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type on OPEN of cursor [message #4248 is a reply to message #4240] Thu, 21 November 2002 12:48 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
Also, you need to declare a variable for the record type (you can't fetch into the type directly, only a variable based on that type):

declare
  type l_cursor_rec is record
    (
     f_region  varchar2(255),
     f_site_id varchar2(255)
    );
  l_rec    l_cursor_rec;
  l_cursor ter_meantimetorepair_pkg.ter_meantimetorepair_refcursor;
begin
  ter_meantimetorepair_pkg.ter_meantimetorepair ('15/NOV/2002 12:00:00', l_cursor);
  loop
    fetch l_cursor into l_rec;
    exit when l_cursor%notfound;
    -- do something with values  
  end loop;
  close l_cursor;
end;  
/
Previous Topic: Database Triggers firing sequence
Next Topic: spooling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 22:08:25 CDT 2024