Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp (10g r2)
Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp [message #483362] Sun, 21 November 2010 07:38 Go to next message
kamransagri
HI,

I have set password on the listener and set the local_os_authentication parameter to "OFF", whenever i start/stop listener through "lsnrctl" ,it works fine and asks for password but i can stop/start listener through windows services without giving any password.

so please some one guide me on this,what is the use of setting password on listener if any body can start/stop it through services utility in windows xp sp3.
Re: Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp [message #483366 is a reply to message #483362] Sun, 21 November 2010 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
For security reason, do NOT use password on listener.
Use local authentication.

Quote:
if any body can start/stop it through services utility in windows xp sp3.

Not anybody only administrators.
Search for "security model" in Windows help.

Regards
Michel
Re: Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp [message #483368 is a reply to message #483362] Sun, 21 November 2010 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamransagri
thanks for replying,

the scenario is this,administrator password is shared,so setting password on listener will serve the purpose, so if any body have gone through the same scenario and did any thing productive then kindly let me know

thanks.
Re: Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp [message #483370 is a reply to message #483368] Sun, 21 November 2010 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
administrator password is shared

So anyway you then do you fail.
Administrator can do anything, modifty any configuration file including listener.ora and so remove the password.
Do not share the administrator password.

In addition, setting the password allows REMOTE user to stop your listener. Setting local authentication only, remove this way to hack your listener.

Regards
Michel
Re: Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp [message #483963 is a reply to message #483370] Thu, 25 November 2010 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linajane

hi, to all!!!
I am newbie her, many thanks for giving and
sharing the ideas...God Bless!!

Cheerz'z'z'z
Re: Listener PSWD Authentication on windowsxp [message #483967 is a reply to message #483963] Fri, 26 November 2010 00:45 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
From your previous answer:

Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 07:34
Welcome to the forum.
Please, read OraFAQ Forum Guide and post in a as correct english as you can.

Regards
Michel

a single exclamation mark is sufficient.
"Cheerz'z'z'z" is not in the dictionary.
Please, tbis is not a social forum, try to post in a professional way.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Deletion of LDAP entry
Next Topic: inbound_connection_timeout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:05:50 CDT 2024