Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » About Reconnecting Oracle DB on New Machine (Oracl 8.0.5)
About Reconnecting Oracle DB on New Machine [message #478872] Wed, 13 October 2010 02:37 Go to next message
angel82
I am running a web application on windows 2003 server from past 3 years. it has oracle 8.0.5. last week the Hard Disk start to malfunction. Some how i managed to recover dmp files that i used to take manual backup (nearly 25 MB) and original db file that doesn't have any extension having 2.2 GB and .ora file. i have installed windows on hard disk. now i have 2 options.

1) Reconnect that db file with newly installed oracle. How can i do it?

2) restore data from dmp file. How to do it?

Kindly guide me how to do it considering that i don't have much experience in oracle.

Waiting for help
Regards
Re: About Reconnecting Oracle DB on New Machine [message #478876 is a reply to message #478872] Wed, 13 October 2010 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1) Yes, once you have restore ALL the files to the previous locations, use ORADIM (or ORADIM80 I don't remember the name for this very old version) to recreate the service.
2) Create a new database and import the dump (imp help=y).

Regards
Michel
Re: About Reconnecting Oracle DB on New Machine [message #478943 is a reply to message #478872] Wed, 13 October 2010 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
angel82
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply but i am very much new in oracle. kindly provide me step by step instructions i'll be very gr8ful to you thanx again
Re: About Reconnecting Oracle DB on New Machine [message #478944 is a reply to message #478943] Wed, 13 October 2010 13:45 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It widely depends on what you exactly have.
If it is really important for you (and your entreprise) it should be better to hire a DBA to do this.
He/she will do it within a day and safely when it will take you days and days and you are not sure to have something correct.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Confusion about restoring controlfile without backup
Next Topic: Duplicate Database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:09:07 CDT 2024