Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to duplicate from an obsolete backupset? (rman 10.2.0.4.0)
How to duplicate from an obsolete backupset? [message #475355] Tue, 14 September 2010 10:11 Go to next message
metabaron
Hi all
Could you tell me if it is possible to duplicate on the same host, but from an old backupset?

Let's say I have an obsolete full backupset of DB1 (/archive/db1.bkp) no more referenced in catalog or control file. And i want to use it to 'duplicate' DB1 to DB2 and on the same host. So I suppose I have to do something like recatalog /archive/db1.bkp as DB1 backupset. But I don't know how to force a duplicate to THIS old backupset... Or is there another solution?

I think I can do this with 11g but I'm still using 10gR2

Thanks for help.

Re: How to duplicate from an obsolete backupset? [message #475357 is a reply to message #475355] Tue, 14 September 2010 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Could you tell me if it is possible to duplicate on the same host, but from an old backupset?
YES

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: How to duplicate from an obsolete backupset? [message #475358 is a reply to message #475355] Tue, 14 September 2010 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Bring back the backupsets, recatalog them.
Just do a TSPITR. Restore and recover the database to the time you want.
Re: How to duplicate from an obsolete backupset? [message #475363 is a reply to message #475355] Tue, 14 September 2010 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metabaron
@BlackSwan:

Sorry but I'm not sure what Guidelines I'm not following:
I'm polite (Hi all/Thanks for help)
I'm not littelling anyone as I'm asking a question
I don't think my English is as bad as you can't understand? Tell me if so...
I have specified Oracle version : 10gR2
No code in my post

If you are directing me to others site/oracle documentation, indeed I'm new to RMAN and haven't read yet read all thousand pages RMAN documentation but only sections that are concerned by what I'm looking for. And that's why I'm here : I haven't found EXACTLY what I'm looking for..

@Mahesh Rajendran:
I thought that restore/recover was to be used when restoring to the same database and duplicate when restoring to a new ORACLE_SID... I don't know TSPITR yet, i'll take a look.
Re: How to duplicate from an obsolete backupset? [message #475365 is a reply to message #475363] Tue, 14 September 2010 11:03 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>I thought that restore/recover was to be used when restoring to the same database and duplicate when restoring to a new ORACLE_SID... I don't know TSPITR yet, i'll take a look.

You are right.
I misunderstood the question.
Still, you can duplicate. Just make sure the old backupsets are visible to catalog.
TSPITR is just point-in-time-recovery.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2010 11:04]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to force tempfile reuse when duplicating database
Next Topic: Simple RMAN backup and recovery.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:14:22 CDT 2024