Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » how to add column in oracle form in reports
how to add column in oracle form in reports [message #475070] Sun, 12 September 2010 11:11 Go to next message
pverma
Hi
I would like to know how can i add a column in exisiting report.
i try to change SQL by doing this it does add that new column into group but when i try to run report i can not see that changes . then i try to do some changes in paper layout but i am not able to bring the changes in out put. i am new to this FORMS Reports . do i have to create a group again i am how can i change the layout in that report.
thanks
Re: how to add column in oracle form in reports [message #475077 is a reply to message #475070] Sun, 12 September 2010 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What you did was right - adding a column into the query and, afterwards, modifying paper layout. It *should* be OK; if it is not, I can't tell what you did wrong.

If you are unexperienced Reports user, the simplest way is to delete existing layout and use Wizard to create a new one. However, doing it manually will help you understand what is really going on. It will, most probably, be VERY time consuming and painful, but I think it is worth it.
Re: how to add column in oracle form in reports [message #475090 is a reply to message #475077] Sun, 12 September 2010 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pverma
thanks
I was wondering how can i do modification in layout.
because group are already created and if i try to add column ,it will create new group then i am scared i don't want to do any mistake in exisitng report. Can you please guide me how the paper layout works i am very new to reports , like in form we can change the layout easily and we can figure out which canvase is needs to be modified but in reports i am little bit confused regarding groups.i understand that when we create a sql then it will create group but is it right paper layout is default setup for that group . can u please give me some idea . thanks
Re: how to add column in oracle form in reports [message #475101 is a reply to message #475090] Mon, 13 September 2010 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You added a column into a query. If there is more than one group for that query, column will be placed in the lowermost group. However, that might not be the right place for it, so you'll have to move it into a correct group.

Then go to paper layout editor. This part is quite tricky because there are fields. They are (most probably) contained in a repeating frame. Also, there are column headers. All of that is enclosed into a frame.

If you move anything, by default everything else will be moved because Flex On button is enabled. This might result in breaking layout and, finally, being you unable to run the report.

Buttons, in the toolbar, that you'll have to use and combine (by turning them ON or OFF) are "Flex on/off" and "Confine on/off".

The easiest way to add a field is to copy/paste an existing one (make sure it belongs to a frame based on a group that contains that column). You'll have to resize existing fields so that a new one fits into the frame. Buttons I mentioned will need to be used.

Perhaps you should make a copy of existing report and learn on the copy. Most probably, you'll fail, and you'll fail more than once. Test frequently, save frequently. Unfortunately, there's no (useful) "Undo" in Reports so - once you break something, you'll (sometimes) rather edit a saved copy than undo changes manually.

I can't tell what exactly you should do - the best way to learn it is to try it. It's not THAT difficult once you see how certain toolbar buttons work. Just like anything else, it requires you to put some effort into it.
Re: how to add column in oracle form in reports [message #475226 is a reply to message #475101] Mon, 13 September 2010 15:45 Go to previous message
pverma
Thanks for helping me . It's working fine now. First i change the SQl to add a column to group then i chnage the paper layout by adding another field and assign that field to new column now it's working fine.
Previous Topic: Current Date Field
Next Topic: send the report output via mail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:42:49 CDT 2024