Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified (Oracle9i +HP-UX11iv1 )
Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474547] Tue, 07 September 2010 01:59 Go to next message
kumasudh
Hello Gurus,

I am facing problem with my application while it tries to connect to the Oracle 9i DB using OCI,

it fails with ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified.

On my client side, the oracle ennvironment variable for the NLS are

export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
export NLS_LANG=american_america.we8iso8859p9

same is on the RDBMS side.

SQL> show parameter NLS_LANG

NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
nls_language string AMERICAN

When i try to do a manual connect with sqlplus, it succeeds

$sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect oltpgen/oltpgen@TSTPOOL
Connected.

I have tried 'unsetting' the NLS_LANG parameter on the client side but did not help.

Could you please help me to fix this.

Best Regards

Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474548 is a reply to message #474547] Tue, 07 September 2010 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified
 *Cause: Either an attempt was made to issue an ALTER SESSION command
         with an invalid NLS parameter or value; or the environment
         variable(s) NLS_LANG, ORA_NLSxx, or ORACLE_HOME was incorrectly
         specified, therefore the NLS data files cannot be located.
 *Action: Check the syntax of the ALTER SESSION command and the NLS
          parameter, correct the syntax and retry the statement, or
          specify the correct directory path/values in the environment
          variables.

Quote:
When i try to do a manual connect with sqlplus, it succeeds

So your application set another parameter or another value that what you have in your shell session.

Regards
Michel
Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474550 is a reply to message #474548] Tue, 07 September 2010 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumasudh
Hi Michel,

Thanks a lot for your reply. My application doesnt change the value of this env. variable. Can i try disabling this parameter to be checked at the time of connect request ? I mean how can i restrict the RDBMS server NOT to check the NLS_LANG parameter value from the incoming connect request and let the connect go through ?

Best Regards

Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474551 is a reply to message #474550] Tue, 07 September 2010 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I mean how can i restrict the RDBMS server NOT to check the NLS_LANG parameter value from the incoming connect request and let the connect go through ?

No.

Quote:
My application doesnt change the value of this env. variable.

Maybe it is in the environment of your application execution.
Check alert.log.
Check if there is any trace file.

Regards
Michel
Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474557 is a reply to message #474551] Tue, 07 September 2010 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumasudh
Hi Michel,

I dont see any errors reported in any trace file or alert.log file. Is there any way to check what NLS_LANG parameter the connect request is been placed to RDBMS server by a client ?

Regards
Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474563 is a reply to message #474557] Tue, 07 September 2010 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Activate Net trace.

Regards
Michel
Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474570 is a reply to message #474563] Tue, 07 September 2010 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumasudh
Hi Michel,

I am sorry but i dont have idea how to enable the net traces. Could you please elaborate bit on this ?

Best
Re: Connect to oracle fails with error ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified [message #474572 is a reply to message #474570] Tue, 07 September 2010 05:49 Go to previous message
kumasudh
Hello Michel,

My problem got resolved. I had to restart my application to achieve the same.

Thanks a lot for all the kind help.

Best Regards
Previous Topic: Adding column in middle of existing table
Next Topic: Extract Minute From Time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 05:26:57 CDT 2024