Home » Infrastructure » Unix » AIX vs LiNUX (AIX 5.3)
AIX vs LiNUX [message #470466] Tue, 10 August 2010 01:25 Go to next message
push
Hello all,

I am new to this so not sure if this is the right area to post this question. I need some advise on which OS is better for datawarehouse (Enterprise business intelligence)

OS name: AIX vs Linux

Please advise, thanks in advance, I personally think that AIX would be a better bet.....Pls advise..
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #470477 is a reply to message #470466] Tue, 10 August 2010 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"better" given which criteria?

Regards
Michel
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #470583 is a reply to message #470466] Tue, 10 August 2010 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I personally think that AIX would be a better bet.....Pls advise
Could you justify that?
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #470742 is a reply to message #470583] Tue, 10 August 2010 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
push
better: perfomance issue - long sql queries takes more time in linux as compare to the AIX could be due to multi threading...however linux is cheaper than AIX...

But still I need to think more and that is why I posted the above...so please advise me in an dataware house (enterprise business intelligence) which one would be better We do lots of cloning, daily refreshes...thanks..
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #470755 is a reply to message #470742] Tue, 10 August 2010 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
push wrote on Tue, 10 August 2010 17:52
better: perfomance issue - long sql queries takes more time in linux as compare to the AIX could be due to multi threading

Wherever did you pick up that idea? Linux can use multiple threads just like AIX can.

There are of course a lot of things that you can/must optimize on the OS level to run Oracle, but that is true for every OS.

AIX has a lot more features that are based on the IBM Power5 architecture, like LPAR partitions etc... but those features are also available if you run a Linux version on the Power5 that can use them.

Here is somewhat of a comparison. But the question is not which is "Better", the main question is: Do you need the additional features that AIX (or more precisely, the Power5 architecture) offers?
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #470799 is a reply to message #470755] Tue, 10 August 2010 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
push
Thanks all... it was more than helpful!!
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #477235 is a reply to message #470466] Wed, 29 September 2010 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahudspith
Oddly there was a conversation I was involved in over a lunchtime between Solaris and Linux.

OK - Solaris isnt AIX - but it's still relevant to compare "Big unix systems" over "cheaper" linux systems.

After a little finger pointing we decided it didnt really matter that much - at least where the same feature's were being exploited on the servers.

What matters much more is the architecture of the host machine.

The linux will be (almost certainly) Intel based.

The unix server will be SPARC or Power5 Sun/IBM.

And one of the unix engineers came out with a perfect assessment.

He said "neither was better". But they were different.

The intel based server is a ferrari. It's very quick - but can only carry 1 passenger.

The sparc server is a bus. It's not at all quick in comparison... but can carry lots of passengers at the same time.

Maybe you needed to be in that conversation Smile

Anyway he was really referring to the chips clock rates - and the size of their cache. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

The different architectures perform differently. Clock speed is misleading if you do not understand it.

Neither is better or worse - they just are just best suited to different situations.

Whoo... that was rather long winded. And maybe even a little off topic Smile
Re: AIX vs LiNUX [message #477240 is a reply to message #477235] Wed, 29 September 2010 12:16 Go to previous message
mkounalis
I totally agree that it's hard to state that current Intel processors are bettor or worse than PowerPC or Sparc these days. The processing power of X86_64 cpu's seems to be pretty good. Where the difference in these systems appears is in the I/O backplane. That is where large Sparc, IBM and HP Unix systems shine. With that said, there are some new X86_64 based systems with I/O backplanes that are pretty beefy as well. Five years ago I would agree that Linux was a 'Ferrari' based on the I/O backplane - it could handle a single task workload very efficiently - more so than the other older Unix based systems. Today, I think this distinction is not as clear. I have seen large Sun Sparc systems replaced by X86_64 Xeon systems (and AMD Opteron for that matter) where the Intel systems performed BETTER than the systems they replaced - with the same number of users. With this said, I think that the inertia behind Linux is a bit more intense than any of the older Unix systems, and unless your vendor's benchmarks don't bear out, I would think that Linux is just as capable of an OS - on the right hardware- to handle any workload. My $.02
Previous Topic: RAID Level
Next Topic: server shutdown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:50:50 CDT 2024