Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Grid Control Database Instances always down (OEMGC 10.2.0.5.0 on WinServ2K3R2 32-bit)
Grid Control Database Instances always down [message #460534] Fri, 11 June 2010 14:51 Go to next message
chrisk
Hi,

I've been searching and trying to find a solution to my issue, but nothing has worked so far. Here's what I'm running into:

Installed Grid Control 10.2.0.2.0 on Windows Server 2003R2 32-bit. Immediately upgraded to 10.2.0.5.0. Both install and upgrade went fine, Grid Control can see its own database in the list of targets, looks good.

I then installed Oracle 11gR2 11.2.0.1.0 64-bit on Windows Server 2008R2 64-bit and created a new database. I then installed the 10.2.0.5.0 agent manually on the server via OUI. Agent install went fine, secured and started properly.

The problems I'm having is Grid Control can't seem to see the database instance. If I go to "Targets", GC can see the host just fine, shows that its up and can see targets for the listener (Up), the agent at port 3872 (Up), and the database instance (Down). Drilling down to the database instance, it shows that the instance is not up (though it is as I can connect to it from a different machine and run queries against not) and the Agent Connection to Instance is down with the error:
Failed to connect to database instance: (UNKNOWN OCI STATUS 1804) OCIInitialize. Check ORACLE_HOME and NLS settings etc...

Also, pulling up the "Alerts" tab for errors showed the following for Metrics "Access to Important Tables and Views", "DB Data Files Permissions", and "DB Control Files Permission":
 Target:  SR3 
 Type:  Database Instance 
 Metric:  Access To Important Tables And Views 
 Collection Timestamp:  Jun 11, 2010 11:11:26 AM 
 Error Type:  Collection Failure 
 Message:  1804 at c:\oracle\agent10g/sysman/admin/scripts/db/esaDbUtils.pl line 290. 

There are also several "Missing Properties : [AdrHome,ConvertFromCharset,needCharsetConvert]" errors listed too.

I've looked into the 1804 error and from what I could find, its a perl-related issue with not being able to get the ORACLE_HOME information.
- I verified that ORACLE_HOME was set in the environment variables and even rebooted to make sure it was being picked up properly. That didn't help.
- I added "$ENV{ORACLE_HOME}='c:\\oracle\\product\\11.2.0\\dbhome';" to the esaDbUtils.pl file. That didn't help either.
- I added the GC security certificate to the trusted certificates on the target box in case it was some kind of SSL issue. I don't get the annoying "invalid certificate" warning, but it didn't fix it.

So I'm stuck. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you need more info or I've left something out, let me know and I'll try to get you the info.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Re: Grid Control Database Instances always down [message #462679 is a reply to message #460534] Fri, 25 June 2010 10:40 Go to previous message
chrisk
No replies yet, but I've found what could be causing the problem, and its my bad for not mentioning it sooner:

Because during our migration we've got a mixed environment between 11gR2 databases and 8.1.7.4 database (why we're obviously upgrading), I've had to implement heterogeneous services to allow for communication across db links to the 8.1.7.4 databases. The last one of our servers to be migrated off of 8.1.7.4 I went ahead and removed both the 11gR2 gateway install and the 10g instant client install. To explain, the gateway may not be necessary, but I installed it thinking it was needed for the heterogeneous services. The 10g client is necessary because the ODBC connection the heterogeneous services is using requires a client that can talk to 8.1.7.4 (the oracle 11g client refuses). Once I removed these 2 installs, the databases on this box showed up as alive in Grid Control (before they had been added, but showed up as down).

So I'm thinking there's some conflict in the way the Oracle Homes are being read either from the registry or in the path (although changing the path doesn't seem to make a difference).

So anyone out there have any insight? Or just wait until I can get rid of the heterogeneous services altogether and hope for the best?

Thanks,

Chris
Previous Topic: Problem with emctl start up
Next Topic: em backup gives: ORA-20446: The owner of the job is not registered ORA-06512: at "SYSMAN.MGMT_J
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:26:26 CDT 2024