Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password (Forms [32 Bit] Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production))
GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #458629] Mon, 31 May 2010 18:42 Go to next message
fakhlaq
Hi,
Our application is using GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY to retrieve user name, password and connect string. Since we have started using Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production the problem started with password case sensitivity. The function returns uppercase password whereas if the user has lower or mix case password they mismatch.

Please help me out.
Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #458657 is a reply to message #458629] Tue, 01 June 2010 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm not sure what you could do (except, perhaps, upgrading your application to a higher Forms version, but I wouldn't know how Forms 11g's GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY works). What do you do with credentials retrieved by that built-in (as you are already connected to a database)? Would it, somehow, be possible to use - for example - functions like UPPER; something like
... where upper(password) = upper(some_other_value/variable)
Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #458698 is a reply to message #458629] Tue, 01 June 2010 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregor
hi ,

it is a bug in forms. see in Metalink if there is a forms-patch
Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #458702 is a reply to message #458698] Tue, 01 June 2010 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I wouldn't say so. Oracle was case-insensitive (when talking about passwords) until 11g. Forms 10g works that way too (being insensitive, that is). When it was released, there was no problem.

I've just searched the documentation; 11g's new features in the Case-Sensitive Passwords section says:Quote:

Now, some of your apps may not be passing the password in proper case right now. A typical example is a user input form: Many forms accept passwords with no case conversion being performed. However, with Oracle Database 11g, that login may fail unless the user enters the password in case-sensitive format or the developer changes the app to convert to upper or lower case (which may not be possible quickly).

If you wish, however, it is still possible to revert to case insensitivity by altering a system parameter, SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON ...

(There's more to read, this is just an excerpt)

Now, is setting SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON to true/false an acceptable solution for Fareed, I can't tell.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2010 06:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #458708 is a reply to message #458629] Tue, 01 June 2010 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregor
hi ,
forgot to say, you can change casesensity:
SQL> conn / as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> alter system set sec_case_sensitive_logon = false;
Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #458785 is a reply to message #458702] Tue, 01 June 2010 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fakhlaq
Yes, you r right we can turn off the case sensitivity feature. The problem is when our client wants to turn that on.
Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #463374 is a reply to message #458785] Thu, 01 July 2010 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I'm assuming that the forms item into which you are placing the password is not a displayed item that has its 'Case' set to 'Upper'.

David
Re: GET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY return uppercase password [message #643716 is a reply to message #463374] Fri, 16 October 2015 01:51 Go to previous message
Imran85
Hi,

I am using Oracle DB 11.2.0.3.0 and Forms11g versions.

There is a requirement to run sql script from oracle forms but i am unable to do so because the password returned by get_application_property is in capital letters.
I have tried setting parameter FORMS_USERNAME_CASESENSITIVE as 1 in env file but still same issue exists.

Please suggest how can we make oracle forms treat passwords as case sensitive.

NOTE: I cannot change case_sensitive DB parameter to false.

Thanks,
Imran.

Previous Topic: Oracle Forms Master Detail detail
Next Topic: Microsoft Web Browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:55:55 CDT 2024