Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » db_recovery_file_dest parameter issue during restore (10.2.0.4 , Solaris 10)
db_recovery_file_dest parameter issue during restore [message #458237] Fri, 28 May 2010 01:12 Go to next message
lalitm_2003
Messages: 86
Registered: May 2005
Location: delhi
Member
Hi Experts,
Yesterday i faced some strange issue.
We used to restore the database from other database backup using "restore database" command and then rename database to another name as per our requirement.
Few days back i restored the database from UAT db(name UAT) and changed the name to TS1. The databases using ASM for the datafile and db_recovery_file storage on diskgroup +DATA05.
so, thats why i can not rename the directory structure to TS1 as i am using 10g.
So, the directory structure remains the same(+DATA05/UAT/datafile/..) after renaming the database to TS1.

Yesterday, i tried to restore the same UAT database backup onto some other diskgroup +DATA01. The restore process picked the datafiles of running database TS1 under the diskgroup +DATA05 instead of the backup pieces. And that is because my db_recovery_file_dest parameter pointing to +DATA05 diskgroup.
(DB_RECOERY_FILE_DEST='+DATA05')
After the restoration, it throw error that your controlfile is before the resetlogs(sorry i didn't have the error code/number now).
I resolved the issue by changing db_recovery_file_dest parameter.
But i have my own confusion, why the restore process tooks the datafiles instead of the backupsets.
And why oracle can not distinguish that these datafiles are under different database name.
Great thanks in advance for your input and knowledge sharing.

Regards
Lalit
Re: db_recovery_file_dest parameter issue during restore [message #458241 is a reply to message #458237] Fri, 28 May 2010 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lalitm_2003
Messages: 86
Registered: May 2005
Location: delhi
Member
Sorry, by mistake i put this topic in wrong category.
It should be in backup and recovery category. Can somebody help me to move this topic to that category.

Regards
Lalit
Re: db_recovery_file_dest parameter issue during restore [message #458273 is a reply to message #458237] Fri, 28 May 2010 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Messages: 10613
Registered: March 2002
Location: oracleDocoVille
Senior Member
Account Moderator
>>The restore process picked the datafiles of running database TS1
Only way that can happen is your restore session is been pointing to TS1 either within the rman script or through ORACLE_SID.
You can easily rename the datafiles / directory structure using "set newname" on the fly during restoration.
Re: db_recovery_file_dest parameter issue during restore [message #458390 is a reply to message #458237] Sat, 29 May 2010 07:19 Go to previous message
lalitm_2003
Messages: 86
Registered: May 2005
Location: delhi
Member
Thanks Mahesh,
But my SID and everything is correct while i am doing restoration of the database. And Rman script uses "/ as sysdba" while connecting to the database and start the restoration of the database UAT on another diskgroup.
But as i said early on, it tries to point the datafiles on the diskgroup +DATA05/UAT/datafile/...
And that is because my parameter db_recovery_file_dest for UAT database was set to +DATA05.
Once i changed this parameter to +DATA01(on the same putty session, without changing SID or anything), it did the restoration correctly from the backupset piece.
Regarding set new name, i guess that might be issue because i have around 210+ datafiles. I have to look into this possibility as well. Thanks for your valuable suggestion Smile


Regards
Lalit
Previous Topic: Backup Flat files to netbackup
Next Topic: error occurred while backup the database
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Apr 18 22:46:45 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14052 seconds