Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment (11gR2 RAC, Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.4)
ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #456985] Thu, 20 May 2010 10:47 Go to next message
hemss007
Messages: 21
Registered: June 2008
Location: LONDON
Junior Member
Hi There!
We are planning to install 11GR2 RAC with two nodes Cluster on LINUX in Our Environment.
Operating System: OEL 5.4
In our hardware we got two dell Servers with 16GB RAM on each plus On SAN side we have only 8 disk (173GB) left for RAC Cluster Setup. I am going to create to database (LIVE/UAT) on This Cluster Setup. Currently Our Production DB size is 6GB and I assume for coming 5 year it will not go beyond 100GB And I keep UAT size 15GB fix with No changes.So how you get the best ASM performance by using my all Resources.

My question:
1) Which is best solution for ASM and RAID in our storage Environment?(Mean which RAID Option we choose)
2) How many Disk group I Create for Both Databases (UAT/LIVE)?
3) How many disks should I allocate in Each Disk Group with which RAID Option or if any suggesting for LUN, How do I create LUNS across the Disk which I got?
4) I know oracle recommended Two DISK Group DATA&FRA is there any other suggestion for CRS, REDO, and TEMP FILE?
Thanks for your Assintance.

Hemesh.
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #456987 is a reply to message #456985] Thu, 20 May 2010 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Messages: 22901
Registered: January 2009
Senior Member
>1) Which is best solution for ASM and RAID in our storage Environment?(Mean which RAID Option we choose)
Best based upon which metric; maximum available space, best performance, most reliable, etc?
>2) How many Disk group I Create for Both Databases (UAT/LIVE)?
one or more
>3) How many disks should I allocate in Each Disk Group with which RAID Option or if any suggesting for LUN, How do I create LUNS across the Disk which I got?
How many disks do you have?
>4) I know oracle recommended Two DISK Group DATA&FRA is there any other suggestion for CRS, REDO, and TEMP FILE?
more spindles are more better
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #456988 is a reply to message #456987] Thu, 20 May 2010 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemss007
Messages: 21
Registered: June 2008
Location: LONDON
Junior Member
>1) Which is best solution for ASM and RAID in our storage Environment?(Mean which RAID Option we choose)
metric We choose;best performance and reliable


Thanks
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #456990 is a reply to message #456988] Thu, 20 May 2010 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Messages: 22901
Registered: January 2009
Senior Member
>We choose;best performance and reliable
RAID1+0
create mirror pairs & then create stripe volume of mirrored pairs
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #456992 is a reply to message #456990] Thu, 20 May 2010 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemss007
Messages: 21
Registered: June 2008
Location: LONDON
Junior Member
Hi BlackSwan,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Could you please tell me then ,
How many Disk Group I created with How many LUNS in it ? SO What would be Final size of my Each Disk Group ?

Thanks.
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #456997 is a reply to message #456992] Thu, 20 May 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Messages: 22901
Registered: January 2009
Senior Member
>How many Disk Group I created with How many LUNS in it ?
42

>SO What would be Final size of my Each Disk Group ?
it depends upon actual disk size
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #457129 is a reply to message #456985] Fri, 21 May 2010 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemss007
Messages: 21
Registered: June 2008
Location: LONDON
Junior Member
Hello There!

I haven't got my Answer Yet.
Can I have Suggestion ,Please ?

Thanks
Re: ASM vs RAID for 11gR2 RAC Environment [message #459581 is a reply to message #457129] Mon, 07 June 2010 04:54 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
Messages: 612
Registered: January 2007
Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Senior Member
Quote:

Hi There!
We are planning to install 11GR2 RAC with two nodes Cluster on LINUX in Our Environment.
Operating System: OEL 5.4
In our hardware we got two dell Servers with 16GB RAM on each plus On SAN side we have only 8 disk (173GB) left for RAC Cluster Setup. I am going to create to database (LIVE/UAT) on This Cluster Setup. Currently Our Production DB size is 6GB and I assume for coming 5 year it will not go beyond 100GB And I keep UAT size 15GB fix with No changes.So how you get the best ASM performance by using my all Resources.


You have 2 Database, however, both of LIVE and UAT are RAC or one is RAC and one is Single?

Then, I assume both of database are RAC, so that:

Quote:

My question:
1) Which is best solution for ASM and RAID in our storage Environment?(Mean which RAID Option we choose)


You've got 2 options about RAID: 0 & 1. What is the Number 5? I think you may not plan for Number 5, because of the Number 5 request at least 1 spare disk. You've got ((173gb x Cool /2) -1x173 = 519gb if you choose Raid 5. With 519gb, you must device for at least 2 if you choose ASM using Normal option when you create ASM instance, so that, you only have got 519/2=259.gb for both of UAT and LIVE database. Then, which option will you choose?

Quote:

2) How many Disk group I Create for Both Databases (UAT/LIVE)?


Depend you purpose, you'll got choose by yourself

Quote:

4) I know oracle recommended Two DISK Group DATA&FRA is there any other suggestion for CRS, REDO, and TEMP FILE?
Thanks for your Assintance.


If you have the separate backup database, you may not need FRA.

CRS is CRS, Voting Disk is Voting Disk. You will put it into the Lun or in Raw Device. Both of them will not get more Gb than you think. Only 4,5 gb is enough, also backing CRS & Voting disk.

Redo is Redo, depend the OLTP (more select you may not need Redo's gb, more DML you need Redo's gb) you manage.

Tempfile is Tempfile, if more sorting process, you need more tempfile , if bad coding, you need more tempfile, if more exp/dmp processing, you need tempfile.
Previous Topic: OCR Autoback is not happening
Next Topic: Problems with connecting to ASM instance
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Oct 21 16:58:36 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06521 seconds