Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... (9i)
Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #456091] Fri, 14 May 2010 09:35 Go to next message
shajju
Hi guys

Hoping to get some help here. I have a 9i db. The problems I'm currently facing is pretty much summed up in the Title.

Yesterday, the database server was moved to a new physical location and given a new IP address. Since then, after powering the server back up, when the loader runs as scheduled in the cron and tries to load data into the database, for some reason the external file created is '0' bytes although the file being loaded has data in it.

However, if I run the ETL loader manually, the ext file is not empty and data gets loaded into the db.

Everything was working fine before the servers were re-located but I can't relate the server activity with a '0' bytes ext file.

Any ideas?

Regards
Shajju

Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #456092 is a reply to message #456091] Fri, 14 May 2010 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
ALWAYS
Post Operating System (OS) name & version for DB server system.
Post results of
SELECT * from v$version
or post Oracle version to 4 decimal places

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

use COPY & PASTE so we can see what you see, what you do & how Oracle responds
Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #456145 is a reply to message #456092] Sat, 15 May 2010 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shajju
The database is installed on a HPUX machine.

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.7.0 Production
TNS for HPUX: Version 9.2.0.7.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.7.0 - Production

I'm using a third party application to load data into the database which was working fine (scheduled in cron) since a couple of days ago after the IP addresses of the servers were changed. One HPUX box has two partitions and hence two IP addresses making them two servers. One server has oracle 9i installed on it. And one server has the files that need to be loaded into the db. The Oracle server can be TNSPinged from the Mediation server. The external dir on the database server is mounted on the mediation server so any file created/copied into the ext dir on the mediation server can be seen in the ext dir on the db server.

Now when I run the loader, I can see that the ext file created in the ext dir on the mediation server is '0' bytes and also correspondingly on the db server and the log says, there are no files to process. The path to the location where the files to be loaded exist in defined in the ini file used with the loader and is a valid path.

I've checked all permissions to the respective folders. Just cannot figure out why the ext file created is zero bytes.
Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #456148 is a reply to message #456145] Sat, 15 May 2010 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Now when I run the loader, I can see that the ext file created in the ext dir on the mediation server is '0' bytes

Which has nothing to do with Oracle as loader loads and does not create anything.
Investigate each and every line of your script and environment parameters and then you will know why.
Here we have no clue but what you say which is by definition either incomplete or incorrect otherwise you would know what is wrong.

Regards
Michel
Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #456171 is a reply to message #456145] Sat, 15 May 2010 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
since you provide us no real details & refuse to follow Posting Guidelines & use COPY & PASTE as requested, I have 4 words for you.

You're On Your Own (YOYO)!
Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #456473 is a reply to message #456171] Tue, 18 May 2010 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
BlackSwan wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 09:25

You're On Your Own (YOYO)!

Smile
Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #457247 is a reply to message #456473] Sat, 22 May 2010 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shajju
OK, just to update you guys. The problem is resolved. It turned out that the NFS had created some lock on the ext dir. Removing the lock, fixed things.
Re: Ext file being created is '0' bytes.... [message #457255 is a reply to message #457247] Sat, 22 May 2010 09:32 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Found error in DBV Utility
Next Topic: Kill Session Software
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:47:33 CDT 2024