Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Update Hanging!!!
Update Hanging!!! [message #3974] Wed, 30 October 2002 09:20 Go to next message
Gopala K Tasupalli
Hi Friends,

I have a problem with my update script! this script is working fine till now, but this month its giving problems to me. I know there is nothing wrong with the script, and the problem is with the data. but i don't know how to trace it out. Need your help.

Problem :
I have to update LAM_12 field in RAM_LAN table using the LAM_12 field from RAMLANLAM12 table. there are 68141 rows in RAM_LAN table and there are 45237 rows in RAMLANLAM12 table. when i execute the UPDATE script only 32984 rows in RAM_LAN table are getting updated and the Update script is getting hanged(nothing is happening!!!) i waited for one full day but nothing happend. i am forced to come out of the script by pressing CTRL+C keys.

Does any of you have any idea? what could be wrong with my SCRIPT/DATA?

Thanks
Gopal
Re: Update Hanging!!! [message #3975 is a reply to message #3974] Wed, 30 October 2002 10:11 Go to previous message
Andrew
the first thing to look for would be other record/table locks by other sessions. You can try to query the dictionary to show the info you are looking for - or simply use the DBA module in TOAD.

If you can afford to take out full table locks, then your easyiest would be:
whenever sqlerror exit 1
lock table RAM_LAN in exclusive mode nowait;
lock table RAMLANLAM12 in exclusive mode nowait;
update...

If either of those tables has more child tables and there are fk constraints to them, then it'll try to take out locks on those tables too - so there should be available too.
Previous Topic: Index and NULL values question
Next Topic: Date trouble
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 09:03:48 CDT 2024