Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 (Oracle 10.2.0.4 on HP-UX)
Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #446866] Wed, 10 March 2010 14:28 Go to next message
Ricky_1362002
Hello All,

We have Oracle 10.2.0.4 on HP-UX 11.31.

We are having an issue of a lot of trace files being generated under the udump and bdump directories.

And when we see inside one of the trace files, it has the basic information about the Oracle_home, System name, version, Instance Name and at the end has an error:

Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1

I did search a lot, and found one interesting solution in metalink:
Quote:

[ID:] 302801.1
Disable async_io on Oracle in HP-UX to avoid this message in trace file:

Since the Oracle 10.2 version, the problem is resolved as these settings stop the tracing:
disk_asynch_io=FALSE
filesystemio_options=none

I was wondering if making these changes affect the database performance in any way?

I would appreciate if someone would throw some light on this issue, about this initialization parameter disk_asynch_io

Thanks,
Munna
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447013 is a reply to message #446866] Thu, 11 March 2010 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> throw some light on this issue, about this initialization parameter disk_asynch_io
Oracle docos/metalink would be the first place to look.
disk_asynch_io makes sense if you are using raw disks.

>>I was wondering if making these changes affect the database performance in any way?
With provided information, will involve too much of guess work.Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2010 10:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447022 is a reply to message #446866] Thu, 11 March 2010 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricky_1362002
Thanks Mahesh for you reply.

I did look in metalink but could not find anything related to 10g and HP-UX.

>>disk_asynch_io makes sense if you are using raw disks.
We are'nt using raw disks, we are using file system.

>>With provided information, will involve too much of guess work.
Please let me know what information you need.

Thanks,
Munna
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447024 is a reply to message #447022] Thu, 11 March 2010 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Quoting Docs.
Quote:
The DISK_ASYNCH_IO initialization parameter determines whether the database files reside on raw disks or file systems. Asynchronous i/o is available only with Automatic Storage Management disk group which uses raw partitions as the storage option for database files. The DISK_ASYNCH_IO parameter can be set to TRUE or FALSE depending on where the files reside. By default, the value is set to TRUE.

Note:
The DISK_ASYNCH_IO parameter must be set to FALSE when the database files reside on file system. This parameter must be set to TRUE only when the database file reside on raw partitions.
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447026 is a reply to message #447024] Thu, 11 March 2010 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricky_1362002
Great, thanks Mahesh.

Do you think it will have any performance issues, coz i have read in some other forums that the DBWr has to be increased when the DISK_ASYNCH_IO parameter is set to false.

Currently, i did set the DISK_ASYNCH_IO parameter to FALSE and the filesystemio_options parameter to NONE (as said in Metalink) in one of our Test instances, to test if the above set parameter makes any change in the DB performance, i will let you know by posting here.

Thanks much Mahesh.

Have a good day ahead.

-
Munna
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447030 is a reply to message #446866] Thu, 11 March 2010 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Well if that snippet from the docs is accurate then you must set DISK_ASYNCH_IO to FALSE otherwise you've got a bug.
In which case I would have thought that performance considerations stop being important.
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447032 is a reply to message #446866] Thu, 11 March 2010 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricky_1362002
Thanks cookiemonster for your concern.

I am sorry but i am not able to catch what you are saying.

Would you mind to explain, if possible?

Thanks,
Munna
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447033 is a reply to message #446866] Thu, 11 March 2010 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Performance issues are less important than bugs (which doesn't mean they aren't important).

You apparently have a bug, so you need to fix, even if it slows the system down.
Re: Lot of Trace files under udump,bdump with error: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1 [message #447039 is a reply to message #446866] Thu, 11 March 2010 11:51 Go to previous message
Ricky_1362002
Ok cookiemaster, thank you.

But i got the document from Oracle Metalink ([ID:] 302801.1)

Quote:

Disable async_io on Oracle in HP-UX to avoid this message in trace file:

Since the Oracle 10.2 version, the problem is resolved as these settings stop the tracing:
disk_asynch_io=FALSE
filesystemio_options=none

So i think it should be accurate, i already did the changes and will be checking the trace files and lets see how it goes, and will let you all know here.

Thanks again,
Munna

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2010 11:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Update statement resulting time out
Next Topic: 11g index can't be rebuild
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:46:08 CDT 2024