Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Saving procedures with compilation erros (ORacle 10g)
icon3.gif  Saving procedures with compilation erros [message #444413] Sun, 21 February 2010 18:12 Go to next message
sky_lt
Hi experts,

When creating objects, is there a way telling Oracle
not to store(overwrite) procedures or other DDL in the database
until the statements have no compilation errors?
Re: Saving procedures with compilation erros [message #444415 is a reply to message #444413] Sun, 21 February 2010 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>When creating objects, is there a way telling Oracle not to store(overwrite) procedures or other DDL in the database until the statements have no compilation errors?
The short answer is , NO!

Oracle expects that you know what you are doing.

Oracle does not have "ignore my mistakes" mode.

This is why most folks have test schema or database.
Re: Saving procedures with compilation erros [message #444416 is a reply to message #444415] Sun, 21 February 2010 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sky_lt
That is a pitty for me.

No one is even EXPERTS make no mistakes.
Not always test databases help.
For me it is annoying thing that oracle overwrites the "GOOD" version with version containing compilation errors and has no option to get the old working version back quickly(without manual "old" object backup of course).
Re: Saving procedures with compilation erros [message #444418 is a reply to message #444416] Sun, 21 February 2010 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
sky_lt wrote on Sun, 21 February 2010 18:34
That is a pitty for me.

No one is even EXPERTS make no mistakes.
For me it is annoying thing that oracle overwrites the "GOOD" version with version containing compilation errors and has no option to get the old working version back quickly(without manual "old" object backup of course).

If you are talking about "Version" of Code then, please use CVS or any other Configuration management System to manage your copies of code, and Leave Oracle alone with latest copy of your procedure , irrespective with error without error,

And if it is with Error you might want to FIX it.
Re: Saving procedures with compilation erros [message #444428 is a reply to message #444416] Sun, 21 February 2010 23:28 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:

What does this mean? YOu don't see the compilation error on your test database or you have no test database (I can't image the latter as you can install a databaase on a laptop).

Quote:

1/ Does not the "cp" command overwrite your prhgram even if there are compilation errors?

2/ Use 11gR2 and "editions"

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: sum over multiple tables
Next Topic: Need help to optimize select-update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 26 16:17:37 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05667 seconds