Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. (oracle 10g, 9i, windows nt, unix)
How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. [message #438238] Thu, 07 January 2010 11:45 Go to next message
arunn
How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$lock or v$ objects. i dont have dba access. what are the symptoms for table, row or objects lock? how v guess it would be lock?

Thanks in advance friends..
Re: How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. [message #438240 is a reply to message #438238] Thu, 07 January 2010 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$lock or v$ objects.
Then direct your questions to any one at your site who does have DBA access.

V$LOCK contains the answers & trying duplicate its contents is foolish.
Re: How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. [message #438241 is a reply to message #438238] Thu, 07 January 2010 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you have no access to %lock% then you cannot know what the locks (unless you are blocked on one of them).

Regards
Michel
Re: How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. [message #438244 is a reply to message #438238] Thu, 07 January 2010 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arunn
Appreciate you friends for your interest and fast reply.

is there any pl/sql package to check without v$locks or v$.....

friends, one more question

what are the reasons for object or row locks? how its work?

[Updated on: Thu, 07 January 2010 12:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. [message #438247 is a reply to message #438244] Thu, 07 January 2010 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>what are the reasons for object or row locks?
If session #1 is changing an object, then session #2 needs to be prevented from also changing same object until after session #1 does COMMIT or ROLLBACK.

>how its work?
It work well.

>is there any pl/sql package to check without v$locks
How do you know for sure you bank account balance without accessing the bank's DB?
Re: How to identify the locks in oracle db objects? i dont have access to check the v$ objects.. [message #438254 is a reply to message #438244] Thu, 07 January 2010 12:25 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle® Database Concepts
Chapter 1 Introduction to the Oracle Database
Section Oracle Database Features
Paragraph Locking Mechanisms
Chapter 13 Data Concurrency and Consistency

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: problem with heirarical tree level
Next Topic: Composite Index
Goto Forum: