Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Difference between explicit cursors and ref cursor (Oracle 10g)
Difference between explicit cursors and ref cursor [message #436207] Tue, 22 December 2009 01:56 Go to next message
ashokkr24
I have query on the purpose of using Ref Cursors.I'm aware of the logic behind the ref cursor, which is, It behaves as a pointer in C which holds the memory address of the value and not the value itself.

My question is that the ref cursor can be passed between another PL/SQL objects and even Java.Please confirm if this cannot happen in the case of explicit cursor.Also are there any other differences?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Ashok.
Re: Difference between explicit cursors and ref cursor [message #436208 is a reply to message #436207] Tue, 22 December 2009 02:14 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
My question is that the ref cursor can be passed between another PL/SQL objects and even Java

Yes.

Quote:
Please confirm if this cannot happen in the case of explicit cursor

If you mean cursor declared with "CURSOR ... IS ...", no it is a local variable, when you exit the procedure the variable no more exists.

Quote:
Also are there any other differences?

All differences between a local variable and a pointer to a global object.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: DB Link
Next Topic: how to stop total execution in procedure via condition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 25 21:21:59 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12606 seconds