Home » Infrastructure » Unix » 10g on AIX vs Linux (RDBMS, 10g, AIX or Linux)
10g on AIX vs Linux [message #434353] Tue, 08 December 2009 19:01 Go to next message
acarheden
I know Oracle doesn't have an official preferred platform anymore, but does anyone have thoughts on the benefits of AIX vs Linux for running Oracle 10g? Any AIX guys out there that find AIX tools invaluable for troubleshooting Oracle? Anyone have inside info on what Oracle spends the most time developing for or develops for first?
Re: 10g on AIX vs Linux [message #434454 is a reply to message #434353] Wed, 09 December 2009 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>>but does anyone have thoughts on the benefits of AIX vs Linux for running Oracle 10g?

Benefits?? What exactly your expecting?

>>Any AIX guys out there that find AIX tools invaluable for troubleshooting Oracle?

What tool you want?? What's your problem?

>>Anyone have inside info on what Oracle spends the most time developing for or develops for first?

Sorry to say. I did not understand this question.

- Babu
icon6.gif  Re: 10g on AIX vs Linux [message #434523 is a reply to message #434353] Wed, 09 December 2009 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
>> I know Oracle doesn't have an official preferred platform anymore,

Wrong, Oracle wants you to license their "Unbreakable Linux" to make more money.

>> but does anyone have thoughts on the benefits of AIX vs Linux for running Oracle 10g?

Just check the number of "patches": AIX > Linux

>> Any AIX guys out there that find AIX tools invaluable for troubleshooting Oracle?

Best tools for troubleshooting Oracle are Oracle supplied.

>> Anyone have inside info on what Oracle spends the most time developing for or develops for first?

Yes, anything related to the new ""buzzwords" they are using and trying to sell to the unsuspecting "executives" of their clients.
Razz

Re: 10g on AIX vs Linux [message #434525 is a reply to message #434454] Wed, 09 December 2009 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acarheden
Mostly I was hoping for thoughts on why one platform might be better than the other.

- Does the OS matter much for performance, or just the hardware?

-I've found multiple posts elsewhere recommending using raw block devices for storage to get the best performance, in which case the filesystem wouldn't matter, but is this a common way to install Oracle? If not, are there advantages to JFS vs EXT3, XFS, or Reiser with Oracle?

- What about the OS kernel? Any performance advantages there?

- How about security? The # of patches comment is good advice, but are there any security "gotcha's" on one platform vs. the other?

- How about availability. From everything I'm reading, it seems like all the same Oracle features are available on both platforms. Does anyone know of things that aren't?
Re: 10g on AIX vs Linux [message #434527 is a reply to message #434525] Wed, 09 December 2009 09:28 Go to previous message
ThomasG
There are some differences between OSes, but usually not so much in the direction of performance / troubleshooting or Oracle.

AIX for example has much better support in the direction of volumes and volume groups than Linux. It's easier to connect it to a 200-drive RAID or a SAN than to do that in Linux. (you can basically snapshot / copy / move / extend etc... fileysstems "On the fly" in AIX)

Most of that advantages are because the hardware is from the same company that wrote the OS, though.

AIX also allows for easy virtual partitioning of servers. Linux can also do that a little, when running on POWER5 processors, but not as easily and natively as AIX.

The differences are not that great when you only look at the system as the "Oracle user" only, though.
Previous Topic: Running a shell script from command line in Unix
Next Topic: Shell script calling sql*plus file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:55:44 CDT 2024