Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Need help converting Access SQL to Oracle (Oracle 10g)
icon5.gif  Need help converting Access SQL to Oracle [message #429548] Wed, 04 November 2009 08:38 Go to next message
synapse5150
I'm having a problem converting a query from Access SQL to Oracle. My problem is with the Access Iif statement. I thought it would be as simple as using the 'DECODE' function, but am having problems. Here's the portion of the Access SQL I am having trouble converting:

SELECT PERSONID,
Sum(IIf([INVOICEDATE]>=#1/1/2002#,IIf([INVOICEDATE]<#2/1/2002#,[SHIPPING],0),0)) AS Jan02U,
Sum(IIf([INVOICEDATE]>=#2/1/2002#,IIf([INVOICEDATE]<#3/1/2002#,[SHIPPING],0),0)) AS Feb02U,....Continues on until 4/1/2009
From NETSALESEXTRACT
Group by PERSONID

Basicaly what I am trying to do is return the [SHIPPING] field if the invoice date is between Jan 1st and Feb 1st. If not, the query returns 0 for that field.

Any help on how to re-write this for Oracle would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!1
Re: Need help converting Access SQL to Oracle [message #429553 is a reply to message #429548] Wed, 04 November 2009 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
In Oracle you can use the CASE statement in a similar way.

And if you want to use fixed date constants in your SQL, always use an explicit to_date with the appropriate format mask.
Re: Need help converting Access SQL to Oracle [message #429554 is a reply to message #429548] Wed, 04 November 2009 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
There are two approaches to your specific need:

1) you can try to rewrite the sql using equivelant transforms (eg. substitute decode for if)

2) you can create a statement of specification from evaluation of the original, and then ignore the origianl and write new code from the specification.

So I have a question and a suggestion:

? Did you ever look at the statement and then write down what you think it does ? In your case you seem to understand it well enough, and it looks simple enough that maybe it would be overkill to create a formal spec. Then again, it can't hurt and it shows others your professionalism to have done so, so maybe it would be work considering. A written spec also affords you the opportunity to show your spec to others for commentary to see if you got it right, or if there is a needed change, or even if the original is wrong (which happens more often than we would like to admit).

Try using CASE and not DECODE. CASE is more robust than DECODE and easily handles inequality tests.

Good luck, Kevin
Re: Need help converting Access SQL to Oracle [message #429555 is a reply to message #429553] Wed, 04 November 2009 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
So you'd need something like:
SELECT Personid
      ,sum(case when invoice_date between to_date('01-jan-2002','dd-mon-yyyy') and to_date('01-feb-2002','dd-mon-yyyy') then SHIPPING else 0 end)
FROM <table>
GROUP BY personid;
icon14.gif  Re: Need help converting Access SQL to Oracle [message #429564 is a reply to message #429555] Wed, 04 November 2009 09:17 Go to previous message
synapse5150
Thanks all - That helps a lot.

JRowbottom - You're example is exactly what I was needing. I have the gaps filled now and can continue on.
Previous Topic: Help with Creating a Database
Next Topic: Retrieving a resource's working days in financial periods between hire and termination date
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 25 18:04:29 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10214 seconds