Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Close DBLinks (Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.1.0, RHEL 2.1 AS )
Close DBLinks [message #428076] Tue, 27 October 2009 02:54 Go to next message
jimit_shaili
Dear Freinds

I have two identical database, which of one is my prod db and the
other is my test db.For dumy bill checking programs i created a dblink on my test db to connect my prod db.My main concern is whenever i access the data of prod db using db link(created on
test db), should i need to close explicitly the db link. As i
think when my result comes to my prompt on test db, oracle
automatically close down the communication channel.

Regards

Jimit
Re: Close DBLinks [message #428078 is a reply to message #428076] Tue, 27 October 2009 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
For dumy bill checking programs i created a dblink on my test db to connect my prod db.

Really bad idea, not safe, not secure. Give me the name of your entreprise I will not make any business with it as I don't want to share my personal information with your developers.

Quote:
should i need to close explicitly the db link.

No, you don't need it unless you use many db links in the same session. Oracle will manage them (and the underlying connections) for you.

Regards
Michel
Re: Close DBLinks [message #428085 is a reply to message #428076] Tue, 27 October 2009 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimit_shaili
Dear Michel

Thanks for answer. But u take my message in wrong way.My actual meaning is that we are checking the bills in advance on dumy server for schemes that will be applying in upcoming dates[Our application was developed by third party,they did not supply us the original code]. That's why i wrote as "Dumy Bill Checking".My intentions are very clear.

Regards

Jimit

[Updated on: Tue, 27 October 2009 03:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Close DBLinks [message #428093 is a reply to message #428085] Tue, 27 October 2009 04:14 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Maybe "test db" is just misleading but for me developers and many people have access to test environment whereas access to production environment is restricted for security, safety and confidentiality.
Having a db link from a non production environment being able to read production data is just scaring.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: UTL_SMTP ULT_TCP
Next Topic: Rollup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 26 21:28:33 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14144 seconds