Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database
Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427587] Fri, 23 October 2009 06:44 Go to next message
diptipanchal
I have an application developed by third party using Oracle 10g database. Oracle 10g express edition (freely available) has been installed in the PC where the application is running.

Now I would like to take a backup of that database. I have goggled it but so many options come that I am unable to decide which one is suitable for my requirement.

After taking the backup, i should be able to restore the database in the new PC in case that PC crashes.

Am not too conversant with Oracle database. Kindly let me know if any more information is required to answer above query.
Re: Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427588 is a reply to message #427587] Fri, 23 October 2009 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Backup and Recovery Basics

In short:
C:\> rman target /
RMAN> backup database;
RMAN> exit;

If your database is in NOARCHIVEDLOGH mode you have to shutdown the database first.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 23 October 2009 07:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427597 is a reply to message #427587] Fri, 23 October 2009 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Don't just blindly install software - learn how to use it (or, at least, check what's being offered).

/forum/fa/6901/0/
Re: Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427627 is a reply to message #427587] Fri, 23 October 2009 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alejandro09
if your database is not transactional generate a full backup file to a simple dba.dmp
exp USERID = sys / passwordforsys FILE = FULL = Y GRANTS = Y dba.dmp ROWS = Y LOG = exportFull.log OBJECT_CONSISTENT = Y

and in case of loss of the database, you must recreate the database and import your database using the file dba.dmp

imp USERID = sys / passwordforsys FULL = Y CONSTRAINTS = Y FILE = dba.dmp IGNORE = Y GRANTS = Y ROWS = Y COMMIT = Y LOG = importFull.log

I think it is the simplest method
Re: Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427633 is a reply to message #427627] Fri, 23 October 2009 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
How do you recover a database with an export when you lose a tablespace?
Export is NOT a database backup.

Regards
Michel
Re: Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427662 is a reply to message #427633] Fri, 23 October 2009 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alejandro09

If there is an order where you have one or more schemas associated with a tablespace you can do this by creating the tablespace and importing their schemes.

imp system/passwd file=dba.dmp log=dba.log fromuser='SOURCE_SHEMA1' TOUSER='RECOVER_SHEMA1'

But the point here is to provide a simple solution to backup the database, where perhaps the database is so simple that only has a very small tablespace for applications.

but if a database with very large tablespaces definitely the exp / imp is not ideal, it is best separately recover tablespaces as you pointed "Export is NOT a database backup."
Re: Backup of Oracle 10g(express Edition) database [message #427680 is a reply to message #427662] Sat, 24 October 2009 01:09 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If there is an order where you have one or more schemas associated with a tablespace you can do this by creating the tablespace and importing their schemes.

I mean you PHYSICALLY lose the tablespace, its datafiles.

In addition, with import you lose all the modifications since the last export.

Quote:
But the point here is to provide a simple solution to backup the database, where perhaps the database is so simple that only has a very small tablespace for applications.

Is this simpler than "backup database;" or click on a link?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sat, 24 October 2009 01:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Mirror datafiles
Next Topic: Catalog errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:59:29 CDT 2024