Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recover but don't know if database is Archive or Noarchive (Oracle 9i, Generic)
Recover but don't know if database is Archive or Noarchive [message #423577] Fri, 25 September 2009 06:43 Go to next message
irishdba_in_switzerland
Had to recover a dev noarchivelog mode database this morning. A trigger happy Unix admin ran a rm -Rf.

I knew the database was noarchivelog mode, a financial decision by management.

We are running 2 offline backups per week so I recovered to Wednesday night.

I knew the db was noarchivelog mode as I created it but if I didnt create it and it wasnt documented, as everything was gone, how would I know if it was in archive mode or not ?

I was thinking recover the spfile and read it to see what the mode is ?

Can anyone think of another way to know if it was archive mode or not ?

Regards
Paul

Re: Recover but don't know if database is Archive or Noarchive [message #423583 is a reply to message #423577] Fri, 25 September 2009 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Recover and start it then you will know in which mode it was and is.

Regards
Michel
Re: Recover but don't know if database is Archive or Noarchive [message #423585 is a reply to message #423583] Fri, 25 September 2009 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irishdba_in_switzerland
But if I know its in archivelog mode I can do a point in time recovery, if not I must go back to last full backup.

I want to know before I recover what the logmode is.

Re: Recover but don't know if database is Archive or Noarchive [message #423590 is a reply to message #423585] Fri, 25 September 2009 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Anyway you have to first full restore.
So restore, open, check log mode and possibly recover but if you have no archived logs you can't and if you have them then you are in archived log mode.
So you already know what you can do with what you have.

Regards
Michel
Re: Recover but don't know if database is Archive or Noarchive [message #423594 is a reply to message #423577] Fri, 25 September 2009 08:03 Go to previous message
irishdba_in_switzerland
Thanks for your replies Michel.
Previous Topic: Export Database => EXP-00030: Unexpected End-Of-File encountered while reading input
Next Topic: target database name does not match name in recovery catalog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:32:42 CDT 2024