Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. (Oracle 9.2)
SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. [message #420468] Sun, 30 August 2009 02:41 Go to next message
Smith_X
Hello,

I want to check 2 database -- Production and DRP site to ensure that both database still have the exact match of everything. (The DRP site use DataGuard to transfer archived redo log.)

what I think to do is...
- count number of records.
- query data and do file compare.

but there are hundred of tables. The above way seems not efficient.

Are there any better way to check that please?

Re: SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. [message #420469 is a reply to message #420468] Sun, 30 August 2009 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Same question than at http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/149520/102589/

Please feedback to the previous topic.
Explain why what I posted does not fit your needs.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. [message #420492 is a reply to message #420468] Sun, 30 August 2009 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smith_X
Hello Mr. Cadet,

I'm sorry for double post but I did not mean that I doubt something from your reply in my last post.

The story is I want to ensure the data in two database. I think there are 2 way that I think I can check

1. Verify the Archived Redo Log procedure ==> If the process is reliable then I think data should equal.
2. Just check the data.

From no.1, I post question#1 at DataGuard section. Due to I can't test your advice yet. So, I think I should looking for another option, too. (Due to the time frame is very limit) So, I decide to post question#2. If I lucky, maybe I have another hint and I will do it both on Monday.

I have no idea how to ensure that and feel desperate T_T. I hope you do not mind.

Regards,
Smith_X
Re: SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. [message #420494 is a reply to message #420468] Sun, 30 August 2009 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>2. Just check the data.
Does not scale well.
Impractical when data is volatile (OLTP) in 1 or both DBs.

If you had a tested & verified clone procedure, you would not really have to test the data.
You'd trust the results because procedure would have been previously certified by Quality Assurance
Re: SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. [message #420504 is a reply to message #420492] Sun, 30 August 2009 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
1. Verify the Archived Redo Log procedure ==> If the process is reliable then I think data should equal.

If log is applied then data are there.
If you don't trust Oracle apply process then don't use standby.
More, as it is the same process than "normal" recovery, if you don't trust it don't use Oracle.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQL for check the integrity of 2 database. [message #420537 is a reply to message #420504] Mon, 31 August 2009 03:38 Go to previous message
ThomasG
In general, IF there is some reason not to trust some process, you could check some specific set of data to check if everything worked in general.

For example, we have an Oracle ERP system that transfers price- data to the Point Of Sale System every day.

There are multiple steps involved in that process, and some of those steps I definitely DON'T trust. (Because they rely on VPN connections and a couple of servers off-site that might be, and have been quite regularly, broken or down for one reason or another)

So we have a specific test-product where we just set the price to [month].[day]€ every day before we start the process. So every person out there at the POS terminals can quickly check if the process was successfully completed that day. And if not, they also see quickly when the process was successful the last time.
Previous Topic: Time Duration Calculation (merged 3)
Next Topic: Oracle 10: PL SQL: Comparing records from two (ref) cursors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 27 02:33:04 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11101 seconds