Home » Other » Client Tools » How to enable editing in Toad (Toad)  () 2 Votes
icon4.gif  How to enable editing in Toad [message #412564] Fri, 10 July 2009 00:38 Go to next message
shaz
I am new to toad and i have searched for editing options of toad all over but could not find it. How one performs update without writing the sql in toad??? Sad
Earlier, I had been using sql navigator as oracle tool in that only we have to execute a query in updateable mode, but cant find it in toad. I am using Toad 9.0.1 version

thanks.
Re: How to enable editing in Toad [message #417686 is a reply to message #412564] Tue, 11 August 2009 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepankar_04
just write

EDIT <your table name>
and execute the statement(query).
Re: How to enable editing in Toad [message #417728 is a reply to message #412564] Tue, 11 August 2009 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, you could open Schema Browser, navigate to a table you are about to update, set filter (unless you want to update all records - there might be millions of them) and overtype old values to new ones.

You can expect problems, such as violation of different constraint types (uniqueness, non-existent values in foreign key relationships etc.) and, most of all, the fact that changes you commit are irreversible. You don't know previous values any more, and, if you aren't careful enough, you may even lose records you have updated from sight (for example, navigation to a different table and return back into the updated one might display nothing because filter doesn't see these records any more as you've updated these values).

Manually written UPDATE statement leaves a track (you know what you've updated and where). Your way ... well, is risky. Do you want to take that risk?
icon14.gif  Re: How to enable editing in Toad [message #417873 is a reply to message #417728] Tue, 11 August 2009 23:51 Go to previous message
shaz
Surprised Surprised Surprised
Previous Topic: ERROR - ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
Next Topic: sqlplus &1 not working???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:14:59 CDT 2024