Home » Other » Marketplace » Career Advice - Oracle/SQL
Career Advice - Oracle/SQL [message #410001] Wed, 24 June 2009 16:04 Go to next message
ATLjosh
Hello,

I just registered on this forum and wanted to introduce myself and get some expert opinion. I have bs in electrical engineering and worked in the healthcare IT industry for a few years, but that came to an abrupt halt when my department was forced to shut down. Now, I am taking time off to learn some new skills and make a career change. My next endeavor is to take some classes in database development/admin. I am able to take them for free at the local community college, but I was hoping to get some feedback from the experts on this forum.

I have a choice to take an SQL or Oracle route. Much of this is probably personal preference, but honest opinions are always welcome.

1. Which is more accepted in industry as far as job availability?
2. Which will seems to have a better outlook in the future?

Any advice on what other skills to work on while in school?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being part of this community.

Re: Career Advice - Oracle/SQL [message #410004 is a reply to message #410001] Wed, 24 June 2009 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What do you call "SQL" in this message? Is it "Microsoft SQL Server" or "Structured Query Language"?
Re: Career Advice - Oracle/SQL [message #410005 is a reply to message #410004] Wed, 24 June 2009 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATLjosh
Thank you for pointing that out. It would be MS SQL Server.
Re: Career Advice - Oracle/SQL [message #422773 is a reply to message #410001] Sat, 19 September 2009 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mehboob.oyster
Where is career advice ??????????
Re: Career Advice - Oracle/SQL [message #422843 is a reply to message #422773] Sun, 20 September 2009 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It appears that there's none. I'm not in position to suggest anything - our (Croatian) market is just too small (heck, our whole country has as much people as half of New York City). Anyway, I know quite a few people who use Oracle (either their applications are written in Oracle development tools and use Oracle as back-end, or use SAP on Oracle, or ...), but I don't know anyone who uses SQL Server.

Therefore, my advice would probably be useless. I wouldn't know what other people have to say.
Re: Career Advice - Oracle/SQL [message #423660 is a reply to message #410001] Sat, 26 September 2009 01:44 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
most companies use both. If you are worried about job security, learn both of them. They will consider you adaptable. The down side is you will never be really good at either.

But in today's market maybe that is a good thing. Many companies do not want to pay for skills, they are instead ready to accept whatever is produced as long as it is cheap and works at least long enough for them to be out of warranty at which point breakage becomes a money maker for them all over again.

However, my advice would be to concentrate on the health care industry. It will always be a growth industry. Indeed, there has been a serious shortage of skilled nurses and trained nurse aids for decades. Maybe you could retrain in that light. Nurse's aid requires only a certificate of completion of basic training which can be had in two months of so. It may not be a glorious job or one that pays what you were used to making but there will always be bed pans that need to be emptied and butts that need to be wiped etc.

Good luck.
Previous Topic: Easy-to-use Reporting Solution using Oracle
Next Topic: best oracle apps trainer in bangalore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:38:42 CDT 2024