Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE (ORACLE 9i, 10g)
PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE [message #409743] Tue, 23 June 2009 17:32 Go to next message
manningda
All:

In working to refine my understanding I have been trying to understand the ROLES / PRIVILEGES concept.

The basics are obviously not difficult to grasp, but what has always seemed confusing is understanding how to know which privileges apply best to which circumstances.

I learned ORACLE support thru use of the PL/SQL DEVELOPER GUI. In this environment you are presented 3 sets of privileges for the user: OBJECT, ROLE and SYSTEM.

I understand what the tabs "apply-to" but what I've never been able to find is a "master-reference" for the list of choices presented in each tab.

For example the OBJECT PRIVILEGES tab present over 60 choices. The ROLE PRIVILEGES tab presents over 55 choices; and the SYSTEM PRIVILEGES tab presents over 140 separate choices.

For this lesser experienced hacker, that exponential combination of possibilities becomes overwhelming.

I have no problem understanding where CREATE USER, CREATE TABLE, or SELECT privileges apply; or even how to choose when to focus on OBJECTS v. ROLES.

However, my Oracle Mat's don't clearly discuss the system priv's and do not offer any reference to an index that would define the more than 250 individual choices outlined above.

Can anyone offer a reference or link that would apply?

All comments, input and suggestions are welcome!
Re: PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE [message #409744 is a reply to message #409743] Tue, 23 June 2009 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/toc.htm

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/toc.htm

http://tahiti.oracle.com

[Updated on: Tue, 23 June 2009 17:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE [message #409967 is a reply to message #409743] Wed, 24 June 2009 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manningda
Black Swan:

Thanks for the links, but I have to confess the "reference-list" I was looking for was not readily listed in your suggestions.

I would agree with you that reading the released Oracle materials for the db you are working in would be an obvious place to begin. That's why these materials are part of my reference list and what I work to review first before reaching out for more experienced guidance.

But, it has always confused me why the SQL Commands and KeyWords are so readily found, but listed definitions of the system priv's and default roles are not.

Ultimately my search did bring me to an Oracle reference, however it was one iteration back (10g release 1) instead of the release 2 materials you suggested.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and please let me know if I overlooked something in your links; but I've provided 2 links below that I think more directly answer the question how to know which priv's apply in which circumstances.

Thanks again Black Swan I hope your efforts are rewarded soon.

Comprehensive List of ORACLE System Priv's and Defalut Roles:
http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/Oracle/Privileges.htm

Original ORACLE Documentation 1st link was drawn from:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/statements_9013.htm#BGEDCFFA
Re: PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE [message #409974 is a reply to message #409967] Wed, 24 June 2009 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
manningda wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 08:41
Black Swan:

Thanks for the links, but I have to confess the "reference-list" I was looking for was not readily listed in your suggestions.

But, it has always confused me why the SQL Commands and KeyWords are so readily found, but listed definitions of the system priv's and default roles are not.

In the SQL Reference manual (1 of links I provided) are the following tables.
Table 18-1 System Privileges
Table 18-2 Oracle Database Predefined Roles
Table 18-3 Object Privileges Available for Particular Objects
Table 18-4 Object Privileges and the Operations They Authorize

They contain more than what you found on your own
Re: PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE [message #409977 is a reply to message #409743] Wed, 24 June 2009 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manningda
Thank you.
Re: PRIVILEGES LIST/REFERENCE [message #409987 is a reply to message #409743] Wed, 24 June 2009 12:34 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
The list of "default" ROLEs can vary by Oracle version.
The privileges assigned to a specific ROLE can vary by Oracle version.

ROLE exist to allow easy assignment of a collection of privileges to user/schema.
Previous Topic: GTT Problem
Next Topic: DBMS_PIPE Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 21:58:01 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.25277 seconds