Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Can anyone help me code a simple function?
Can anyone help me code a simple function? [message #41364] Sun, 22 December 2002 13:33 Go to next message
Rami
The situation is this. I have a table where the PK is CHARGE_ID (number); another field is CASE_ID (number). CASE_ID is a nonuniqe field as there can be many CHARGE_IDs per CASE_ID. What I want to do is assign a '1' (number) to the minimun CHARGE_ID for each CASE_ID. Essentially I am looking to create a calculated column that will have '1' next to the minimimun CHARGE_ID for each CASE_ID. That way if I do a sum of all the '1' in the calculated column, I will get a count of the distinct number of CASE_IDs; and yes I can only get a distinct count of CASE_IDs in this manner (count distinct is not applicable).

The table I am using is JIWT_CHARGE
The applicable columns are JIWT_CHARGE.CHARGE_ID
and JIWT_CHARGE.CASE_ID.

Here is my lick at a function which accepts the CASE_ID, uses a CURSOR to import data, and tries to associate a '1' or a '0' with a CHARGE_ID.

=========================================
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION JIWFN_COG_CASE_COUNT
(v_case IN NUMBER)

RETURN NUMBER IS

case_count number(1);

CURSOR c1 IS
SELECT charge_id charge_id, case_id case_id
FROM jiwt_charge
WHERE case_id = v_case;

BEGIN
FOR charge_record IN c1 LOOP

IF (charge_record.charge_id = min(charge_record)) THEN
case_count := 1;
ELSE
case_count :=0;
END IF;

END LOOP;

END;
/
=======================

It doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Can anyone help me code a simple function? [message #41365 is a reply to message #41364] Sun, 22 December 2002 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Several comments:

1) Your statement that 'count distinct is not applicable' does not make sense. If we can figure out the minimum CHARGE_ID for each CASE_ID, we certainly know how many distinct case_id values exist.

2) Storing a calculated value is almost always a bad idea - especially since you say you just want to store it to figure out the number of case_id values. Again, why would 'count(distinct case_id)' be any different than summing this stored calculated value?

Even if you ignore all this, the minimum charge_id for each case_id can be determined in a single SQL statement - no PL/SQL is needed or should be used.
Re: Can anyone help me code a simple function? [message #41367 is a reply to message #41364] Sun, 22 December 2002 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rami
In reference to your second statement:

[[2) Storing a calculated value is almost always a bad idea - especially since you say you just want to store it to figure out the number of case_id values. Again, why would 'count(distinct case_id)' be any different than summing this stored calculated value?]]

I am actually creating an extract file from this table. This extract file will have charge_ids (pk) along side the case_ids; which as noted will not be unique (1:M - case_id:charge_id).

The program that will interprest this extract file; Cognos Transformer (if your familiar with DW front ends), cannot perform a distinct count on the number of case_ids in the file; a software limitation. Hence, I need a 3rd column in the extract file which will have a value of '1' if the charge_id is the min(charge_id) for each case_id; this way if I sum this column, I'll get a distinct count of the case_ids.

I do somewhat understand your assertion that no PL/SQL is needed or should be used; I think I'm making it more complicated then it is.

Thanks for your comments.
Re: Can anyone help me code a simple function? [message #41372 is a reply to message #41367] Mon, 23 December 2002 13:31 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
Ok, fair enough - but that is a pretty big software limitation.

I would recommend not writing a function to mark on a case by case basis, but just update them all as:

update t
   set marker_column = 1
 where charge_id in (select min(charge_id)
                       from t
                      group by case_id);
Previous Topic: Syntax
Next Topic: Reg Encryption of Procedures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 09:29:10 CDT 2024