Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Records written into destination table gets reordered somehow
Records written into destination table gets reordered somehow [message #41167] Tue, 03 December 2002 11:37 Go to next message
Kasi Narayanaswamy
Hello Friends,

I am a Oracle new bee and I have the following problem and I would really appreciate if one of you can help.

I have this trigger on table X. Whenever a row is inserted/updated/deleted, this trigger would fetch the changes and write them into table Y. The problem is suppose I have inserted records 1 , 2, 3 into X in that order in one shot, when I do "Select * from Y;" it is in different order from the order I inserted on X.

Can someone tell me what could be the issue here? BTW, table Y is not indexed and I noticed this Oracle 9i.
Re: Records written into destination table gets reordered somehow [message #41169 is a reply to message #41167] Tue, 03 December 2002 12:32 Go to previous message
Rick Cale
As you found out the order you insert records is not
preserved by Oracle. Records are just inserted into
whatever empty blocks are available. Oracle is a
relational database and it is not necessary for Oracle
to preserve order. You can do that via an order by
clause. Think of the overhead involved to preserve order as records can be deleted,updated,inserted.

Rick
Previous Topic: Oracle stored procedures and VB applications
Next Topic: Data Inserts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:36:14 CDT 2024