Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » After delete of all rows from a table, update another table, HOW?
After delete of all rows from a table, update another table, HOW? [message #41164] Tue, 03 December 2002 09:43 Go to next message
Afagela
How do you update a table when all the rows from another table have been deleted? What is the best uproach? Thank you.
Re: After delete of all rows from a table, update another table, HOW? [message #41165 is a reply to message #41164] Tue, 03 December 2002 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Cale
Would you please clarify your requirement? If you are
wanting to update from a second table that has no
records it cannot be done.

Rick
Re: After delete of all rows from a table, update another table, HOW? [message #41168 is a reply to message #41164] Tue, 03 December 2002 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Afagela
Thanks for your reply. I would like to delete a row from the second table based on whether all the rows from the first table have been deleted.
(i.e. On delete of all rows in Table_1, delete the row in Table_2 where field value = 0 ). The second table will have a record. I hope this is clear. I am all new to pl/sql. Thanks.
Re: After delete of all rows from a table, update another table, HOW? [message #41170 is a reply to message #41164] Tue, 03 December 2002 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Cale
I am assuming there is a field in table_2 that has
a column = 0 and also for this ex 2 key fields.

DELETE FROM table_2 a
WHERE column_name=0
AND a.key1||a.key2 NOT IN
(SELECT key1||key2 FROM table_1);

I suspect we are still having a confusion on
the requirements but this will delete all records
in table_2 that have specified column=0 and no corresponding record exist in table_1

On delete of all rows in Table_1, delete the row in Table_2 where field value = 0 ). The second table will have a record. I hope this is clear. I am all new to pl/sql. Thanks
Re: After delete of all rows from a table, update another table, HOW? [message #41172 is a reply to message #41164] Wed, 04 December 2002 06:53 Go to previous message
Afagela
Thank you. I guess I am not all clear with my requirements.

Table1 = Employee (JobTitle,Salary,field1)

Table2 = JobDescription (Jobtitle,Rank,fieldA)
(The field rank can be from 1 - 3 ).

1. A user (manager) opens a window application and removes all ADMIN jobtitle from the Employee menu.

2. This action by the user will result in a delete of all ADMIN jobtitle from the Employee Table (Background process).

3. From this action, a trigger should fire and delete a record in JobDescription Table where rank = 1 for the JobTitle.

4. So on delete of all ADMIN jobtitle from the Employee menu, I need to delete JobDescription with rank value of 1. Let's just say that there are 3 records in the JobDescription table for ADMIN with rank 1, 2 and 3.

Does this example make sense. I was told that this is in form of a collection or mutating table? I started writing an AFTER DELETE Trigger but I'm stuck. Will the solution you gave me work for this example. I guess I can try it and see. Thanks for your help!
Previous Topic: user sys to query tables created by other user
Next Topic: Difference between PL-SQL table and nested table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:59:17 CDT 2024