Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » connection string (Oracle 10g XE on Windows Server 2003)
connection string [message #403919] Tue, 19 May 2009 09:30 Go to next message
bluntz
I'm setting up a program which will need to connect to the Oracle 10g XE database I set up on my Windows 2003 server.

One of the configuration components of the program asks me to build the connection string for the database. So far I'm pretty sure I'm getting the connection string wrong cause when I run the program I get this error:

Run-time Error '3704': Operation is not allowed when the object is closed

In the part of the configuration where I build the connection string, the default is:
Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=UUUUU;Data Source=XXXXXX;Persist Security Info=False;password=PPPPP

I changed the user ID and password to what I know it is but the Data Source, Provider, and Persist Security Info options have got me puzzled. What should I be using for the program to run? I am a complete newb to Oracle so I can use all the help you'll give me.

Thanks alot everyone.
Re: connection string [message #403920 is a reply to message #403919] Tue, 19 May 2009 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
bluntz wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 07:30
I'm setting up a program which will need to connect to the Oracle 10g XE database I set up on my Windows 2003 server.

One of the configuration components of the program asks me to build the connection string for the database. So far I'm pretty sure I'm getting the connection string wrong cause when I run the program I get this error:

Run-time Error '3704': Operation is not allowed when the object is closed

In the part of the configuration where I build the connection string, the default is:
Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=UUUUU;Data Source=XXXXXX;Persist Security Info=False;password=PPPPP

I changed the user ID and password to what I know it is but the Data Source, Provider, and Persist Security Info options have got me puzzled. What should I be using for the program to run? I am a complete newb to Oracle so I can use all the help you'll give me.

Thanks alot everyone.

What you posted has nothing Oracle related in it.
I surmise you are attempting to use ODBC to connect into Oracle.
If so, I suggest you GOOGLE to see how to properly configure EXCEL to utilize ODBC into Oracle & get that working before working on your custom software.

icon14.gif  Re: connection string [message #403941 is a reply to message #403920] Tue, 19 May 2009 11:15 Go to previous message
bluntz
thank you i looked it up and figured out how to set it up...your help is very much appreciated Surprised
Previous Topic: extproc on another server
Next Topic: how access database anther pc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:11:31 CDT 2024