Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » extproc on another server (oracle extproc, 9, linux)
extproc on another server [message #403819] Mon, 18 May 2009 23:55 Go to next message
lordkain
oracle is installed on a linux server. We want to seperate the machines form database and programs. The programs must be on another (linux) server. There is one issue : extproc. From our sql code we call a shared object under linux.

So my question is: "is is possible to put the extproc on another server where is no oracle installed. In this way database and programs are seperated."

[Updated on: Mon, 18 May 2009 23:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: extproc on another server [message #403821 is a reply to message #403819] Tue, 19 May 2009 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
lordkain wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 21:55
oracle is installed on a linux server. We want to seperate the machines form database and programs. The programs must be on another (linux) server. There is one issue : extproc. From our sql code we call a shared object under linux.

So my question is: "is is possible to put the extproc on another server where is no oracle installed. In this way database and programs are seperated."

Of course, just use Star Wars transporter beams to move the program from the "local" host to the remote host.

A local program needs to initiate ANY/every action!
How do you propose to avoid running any program on the DB server?
Does this restriction preclude running RDBMS itself?
Re: extproc on another server [message #403824 is a reply to message #403819] Tue, 19 May 2009 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
is is possible to put the extproc on another server

No.

Quote:
In this way database and programs are seperated.

So why do you ask the database to run your program?

Regards
Michel
Re: extproc on another server [message #403827 is a reply to message #403821] Tue, 19 May 2009 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lordkain
Hi BlackSwan.

Thank you for your quick reply. I expected that the RDBMS is the local program thats calls extproc.

How do you propose to avoid running any program on the DB server?

I dont know, I just want to deploy my shared library on another server then where the database is running. The most fast and elegant way is to tell the listener where the shared library is (on the another server).
Re: extproc on another server [message #403828 is a reply to message #403824] Tue, 19 May 2009 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lordkain
Quote:

That is a good one. Perhaps this is the issue : I want something that is not possible. maybe the answer is to dont ask the datbase but by another way.
Re: extproc on another server [message #403830 is a reply to message #403828] Tue, 19 May 2009 01:08 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
lordkain wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 23:01
Quote:

That is a good one. Perhaps this is the issue : I want something that is not possible. maybe the answer is to dont ask the datbase but by another way.

Yes, not possible.
Previous Topic: Connection error
Next Topic: connection string
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:50:53 CDT 2024