Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Using PL/SQL table and flat file
Using PL/SQL table and flat file [message #40930] Wed, 13 November 2002 20:59 Go to next message
rc
Hi...
I am developing a tool in oracle forms, which is used for birthday search (i.e.)
The birthdays can be searched by date wise and month wise and name wise,
A new friend's birthday can be added
and also a report can also be generated thru this tool.
My question is,
Now I don't need a table to be created at backend instead i like to have a PL/SQL table to hold the information temporarily and once the user closes the application the loaded information should be moved to flat file and when the user again invokes the application the data from flat file should get moved to PL/SQL table and from PL/SQL table the user should be able to query, add and delete the data.

Is it possible to transfer the data from PL/SQl table to a flat file (excel sheet) and to read it again from that flat file and to load it on PL/SQl table?
Or else any other arrangement is there to accomplish the above task?
Kindly, tell me the topics related to this

-Rc
Re: Using PL/SQL table and flat file [message #41004 is a reply to message #40930] Fri, 15 November 2002 13:17 Go to previous message
rigatoni
There's an Oracle package called UTL_FILE that allows I/O to flat files. You have to read/write to directories "registered" in the init.ora file. You could do them as comma-separated value files which open easily in Excel. I seem to remember seeing something on asktom.oracle.com on writing files for Excel as well (I think they were SYLK files).

-pr
Previous Topic: migrating from access to oracle
Next Topic: Delete statement...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 22:07:35 CDT 2024