Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Default null parameters in stored procedure
Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:36 Go to next message
NewToOracle10g
Hi

When I declare any of the argument as default null in argument list, can I omit totally when I call the procedure.
I'm using Oracle 10g XE client and if i omit default null argument I get 'Wrong number of parameters in call'

Regards
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399690 is a reply to message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
It's not a case of can.
You HAVE to totally omit the parameter for the default to take effect.
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399691 is a reply to message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsi kasina
Depends on how you are passing the parameters? by name / by position / mixed.

Further questions?? Post your code.

By
Vamsi
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399692 is a reply to message #399691] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewToOracle10g
Following is my code in vb.net. I'm calling procedure in package which ahs some parameters defined as default null. to pass parameters by name wher shud i make change in vb caall or in oracle procedure?

Dim iCatId As Integer = -1
commandLibrarian = New OleDbCommand("PLIB_LIBRARIAN_PKG.INS_PLIB_CATALOG_REGISTERED", connectLibrarian)
commandLibrarian.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
Try
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CAT_ID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = catId
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_REG_COPY", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = regCopy
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_REG_LABEL", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = regLabel
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_LOCN_ID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = locnId
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_ACQUIRED_DATE", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = acquiredDate
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_MTYPE_ID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = mTypeId
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_MEDIA_COMMENTS", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = media_comments
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_WITH_DIGITAL", OleDbType.Integer).Value = withDigital
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_ORIGINAL", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = original
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_LINK", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = link
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_CREATED_BY", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = createdBy
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_CREATED_DATE", OleDbType.Date).Value = createdDate
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add("P_CATR_CHECKOUT", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = checkout

Dim param As New OleDbParameter("P_CATR_ID", OleDbType.Integer)
param.Direction = ParameterDirection.Output
commandLibrarian.Parameters.Add(param)

connectLibrarian.Open()
commandLibrarian.ExecuteNonQuery()
connectLibrarian.Close()
iCatId = param.Value

Catch oraEx As OleDb.OleDbException
objErrorLog.writeError(oraEx)
iCatId = -1

Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox(ex.Message)
objErrorLog.writeError(ex)
iCatId = -1
End Try

Return iCatId
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399693 is a reply to message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Based on your code (admittedly I don't know vb) I would assume you are passing the parameters by name.

It would help if you posted the procedure definition (in code tags)
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399694 is a reply to message #399693] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewToOracle10g

procedure INS_PLIB_CATALOG_REGISTERED (
   P_CAT_ID              in number,
   P_CATR_REG_COPY       in varchar2,
   P_CATR_REG_LABEL      in varchar2,
   P_LOCN_ID             in number,
   P_CATR_ACQUIRED_DATE  in varchar2 default null,
   P_MTYPE_ID            in number,
   P_CATR_MEDIA_COMMENTS in varchar2 default null,
   P_CATR_WITH_DIGITAL   in number,
   P_CATR_ORIGINAL       in number,
   P_CATR_LINK           in varchar2 default null,
   P_CATR_CREATED_BY     in varchar2,
   P_CATR_CREATED_DATE   in varchar2,
   P_CATR_CHECKOUT       in number,
   P_CATR_ID             out number     
) is

begin

insert into PLIB_CATALOG_REGISTERED (CAT_ID, CATR_REG_COPY, CATR_REG_LABEL, LOCN_ID, CATR_ACQUIRED_DATE, CATR_REG_DATE, MTYPE_ID,
CATR_MEDIA_COMMENTS, CATR_WITH_DIGITAL, CATR_ORIGINAL, CATR_LINK, CATR_CREATED_BY, CATR_CREATED_DATE, CATR_MODIFIED_BY, CATR_MODIFIED_DATE,
CATR_CHECKOUT, U_NAME, CATR_RETURN_DATE) 
values (P_CAT_ID, 
P_CATR_REG_COPY, 
P_CATR_REG_LABEL, 
P_LOCN_ID, 
P_CATR_ACQUIRED_DATE  ,
to_date(sysdate, 'YYYY-MM-DD'), 
P_MTYPE_ID,
P_CATR_MEDIA_COMMENTS, 
P_CATR_WITH_DIGITAL, 
P_CATR_ORIGINAL, 
P_CATR_LINK, 
P_CATR_CREATED_BY, 
to_date(sysdate, 'YYYY-MM-DD'), 
null, 
null, 
P_CATR_CHECKOUT, 
null, 
null);
select max(catr_id) into P_CATR_ID from PLIB_CATALOG_REGISTERED;

end INS_PLIB_CATALOG_REGISTERED;
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399695 is a reply to message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Not all of your datatypes match.
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399701 is a reply to message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>to_date(sysdate, 'YYYY-MM-DD'),
WHY are you using TO_DATE on SYSDATE which is already a DATE datatype?????
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399702 is a reply to message #399689] Thu, 23 April 2009 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You should probably be using a RETURNING clause for this:
select max(catr_id) into P_CATR_ID from PLIB_CATALOG_REGISTERED;
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399708 is a reply to message #399702] Thu, 23 April 2009 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
somdeep2k9
Using Function?
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399709 is a reply to message #399708] Thu, 23 April 2009 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
somdeep2k9 wrote on Thu, 23 April 2009 17:04
Using Function?

I have no idea what you mean Confused
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399712 is a reply to message #399709] Thu, 23 April 2009 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
somdeep2k9
You should probably be using a RETURNING clause for this -Did you mean by using OUT parameter?

Also want to know how a procedure returned values can be passed to another procedure?

whaetever result I can get from one procedure ,I want to pass it as a parameter to another procedure B

Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #399714 is a reply to message #399712] Thu, 23 April 2009 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
somdeep2k9 wrote on Thu, 23 April 2009 17:14
You should probably be using a RETURNING clause for this -Did you mean by using OUT parameter?

I meant use a RETURNING clause to return the value from the insert statement into the out parameter.

Quote:

Also want to know how a procedure returned values can be passed to another procedure?

whaetever result I can get from one procedure ,I want to pass it as a parameter to another procedure B

So just pass it?
If you're having problems doing this, start a new thread, answering multiple peoples problems on the same thread is just going to be confusing.
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #400094 is a reply to message #399714] Sun, 26 April 2009 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewToOracle10g
my nls_date_format is RR-MM-DD
So to change date format i'm using to_date for sysdate also.
I tried to change nls_date_format but attempt was unsuccessful
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #400095 is a reply to message #399689] Sun, 26 April 2009 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>So to change date format i'm using to_date for sysdate also.
>I tried to change nls_date_format but attempt was unsuccessful

You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

Do not explain or describe.
Use CUT & PASTE to show what exactly what you are doing.
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #400096 is a reply to message #400094] Sun, 26 April 2009 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
NewToOracle10g wrote on Sun, 26 April 2009 07:49
my nls_date_format is RR-MM-DD
So to change date format i'm using to_date for sysdate also.
I tried to change nls_date_format but attempt was unsuccessful

Dates in the database have no format, as long as they have a datatype DATE. Only when you convert them to strings, whether you do it implicitly by displaying them, or explicitly by using to_char, they get a format.
SYSDATE is a date, and as such has no format. If you do a to_date on it, Oracle expects a string as parameter, so it will first do an implicit conversion from date to string, before applying your to_date.
Re: Default null parameters in stored procedure [message #400097 is a reply to message #400096] Sun, 26 April 2009 02:13 Go to previous message
NewToOracle10g
thanx i'll check that
Previous Topic: Table Join
Next Topic: query runs fast but record count is very slow
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 01:23:02 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.30272 seconds