Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Problem with jar caching on client
Problem with jar caching on client [message #396984] Wed, 08 April 2009 09:51 Go to next message
JeffMan
Hello,

I have a problem and I really don't know what to do...

I am using an Oracle Forms applet, which in turn uses a self-developed Java applet. Both the Oracle Forms and the standalone OC4J server are on the same server.

The formsweb.cfg file is set correctly, I can use the whole applet correctly, but the jars needed by the Java applet are never cached, or should I say, are never checked in the cache: eveytime they are needed, they're just re-downloaded fully.

Of course I've been trying lots of things in the Java options as well as in the forms configuration but nothing seems to solve the problem.

Using a packet sniffer, I can see that when the form is launched, all the jars specified in the "archive" line of the formsweb.cfg file are correctly handled: if they're not cached, they are downloaded, and if they're cached, nothing happens (http response 304, not modified). So far so good, and they appear in the Java cache.

Then, all the resources (images) used by the form itself have a correct behavior: GET requests with If-Modified-Since header, so first time it's downloaded & cached, and then it's used directly after 304 responses.

But when launching the Java applet, the GET requests for the jars never provide a If-Modified-Since header, so the jars are just directly re-downloaded all the time. Cloning the request by hand and just adding the If-Modified-Since header makes it work like it should (304 response, since the jars ARE actually in the cache).

Any idea of where it could come from?

Thanks a million,
Geoffroy
Re: Problem with jar caching on client [message #398024 is a reply to message #396984] Tue, 14 April 2009 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
What version of Forms and JInitiator are you using? And on what platform and operating system?

David
Re: Problem with jar caching on client [message #398201 is a reply to message #398024] Wed, 15 April 2009 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JeffMan
Hi,

Forms version is 10.1.2.0.2. It's a client's project so I can't really access it unless doing long sessions through remote control apps... The client told me they're not using JInitiator.

The machine is a PC with Windows XP.

Latest tries on my side were about the cache_option and cache_archive parameters, but still no luck... After a talk with the client, we're going to try to move the second applet from the OC4J container to the Oracle AS, though I don't see why it would change anything, but I'm quite desperate now so...

Geoffroy
Re: Problem with jar caching on client [message #398405 is a reply to message #398201] Thu, 16 April 2009 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Is your client running a Developer Server or an Application Server?

David
Re: Problem with jar caching on client [message #398718 is a reply to message #396984] Fri, 17 April 2009 04:19 Go to previous message
JeffMan
Well, how do I know? I'd say it's the AS if I refer to the name, but he has the forms developper and all this kind of stuff.

Still no luck on my side, with one more strange thing I noticed: considering one of the functionnalities of the applet:
- first time it is called, it takes a very long time because of the downloads. Through the Java Console & the packet sniffer I can see that multiple jars are downloaded multiple times (one of them more than 10 times).
- after the first call, no problems anymore! If I call again the same functionnality in the same applet session, this gives the expected response time, the packet sniffer doesn't see anything, same for the Java Console. The jars aren't even checked for change.

This is really driving me nuts...

Previous Topic: Validation problem
Next Topic: Trouble using "JSObject" class from a PJC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 05:25:38 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05146 seconds