Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to wait for trigger to complete (merged)
How to wait for trigger to complete (merged) [message #395185] Tue, 31 March 2009 10:13 Go to next message
callimaco0082
Hi all,

I have two schema:
SHEMA A
SCHEMA B

From SHEMA A , I execute a stored procedure that inserts data in a table of SCHEMA B.
On that table there's a trigger that fires AFTER INSERT and modify data in the same table.

The problem is that the procedure in SCHEMA A, after inserting data, makes a select on SCHEMA B table and the execution returns an error saying that the table is beeing modified by the trigger.

Is it possible to solve the problem inserting a wait command, like dbms_lock.sleep, in SCHEMA A procedure after the insert statement?
If I could wait for 5 seconds I think that the trigger would be completed and the procedure would be able to complete the select...

Many thanks to all will help!
Best regards.
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete? [message #395188 is a reply to message #395185] Tue, 31 March 2009 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Could you post the code you are using and the error message?

As far as I'm aware selects can't error out because of triggers ever.
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete (merged) [message #395190 is a reply to message #395185] Tue, 31 March 2009 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>makes a select on SCHEMA B table and the execution returns an error
ERROR? What Error? I don't see any error.

You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete? [message #395368 is a reply to message #395188] Wed, 01 April 2009 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
delna.sexy
That might be MUTATING TRIGGER error, according to me.

regards,
Delna
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete (merged) [message #395370 is a reply to message #395185] Wed, 01 April 2009 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
If the select statement is being run from within a trigger it could give mutating table, but OP implies that it isn't being run from a trigger.
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete (merged) [message #395392 is a reply to message #395370] Wed, 01 April 2009 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
Quote:
From SHEMA A , I execute a stored procedure that inserts data in a table of SCHEMA B.
On that table there's a trigger that fires AFTER INSERT and modify data in the same table.

I think the OP is misreading his error messages.

I read the above as 'I've got an After Insert trigger on B.TABLE that selects data from B.TABLE'

I think it's the INSERT that's erroring, not the select, and that it's a mutating Table error as @Delna suggests.
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete (merged) [message #395639 is a reply to message #395185] Thu, 02 April 2009 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
callimaco0082
Thank you all for your support.

As discussed, the error was a "mutating table" and I solved it throug a workaround.

Since the operations done by the trigger are not necessaries for the procedure, I put at the beginning of the procedure a command line to disable the trigger and then a second one to re-enable it at the end of the code.

Thanks once more and have a nice day!
Re: How to wait for trigger to complete (merged) [message #395683 is a reply to message #395185] Thu, 02 April 2009 04:31 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
I really hope your system is single user system or you've almost certainly introduced a bug.
What happens when someone does something that requires the trigger to fire while it's disabled?
Previous Topic: Error invalid directory path in oracle 10.2
Next Topic: ORA-22285: non-existent directory or file for FILEOPEN operation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 10:26:08 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14474 seconds