Home » Other » General » Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration (Oracle 10g,WIn XP)
Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #391503] Thu, 12 March 2009 07:01 Go to next message
ashoka_bl

Hi All,

First of all let me tell you i dont have much knowledge on data migration from one database to another.

There was some discussion going on about a project which involves Data Migration from Oracle to SQL Server, is there any tool which does that, I heard that there is a DTS in SQL Server which does that, i dont have any clues from Oracle Side..

Can anybody please suggest me, I would appreciate if you could provide me some details so that i can discover and dig in.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Bengaluru
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #391519 is a reply to message #391503] Thu, 12 March 2009 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I wouldn't expect Oracle to build a tool to migrate its databases to MS-SQLServer.
Just like I don't expect any software company to build tools to migrate AWAY from their product.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #391705 is a reply to message #391503] Fri, 13 March 2009 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Frank,

Thanks for the reply..If there is any situation where in data migration to be happened from Oracle to SQL Server,how would you do it ??

We have a situation like that, so asked.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #391709 is a reply to message #391705] Fri, 13 March 2009 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Well, first of all, I would never do that Wink
Secondly, I would never do that: I would get a SQLServer expert to do it.
If, however, I had to do it, I would look into SQLServer tools, just like I would use Oracle tools to migrate the other way around (the sane way).
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409804 is a reply to message #391503] Wed, 24 June 2009 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@Frank,

I have some confusions, so thought of opening this post again.

"If I need to migrate all database objects from MYSQL to Oracle or viceversa, Do i need to write any code ?"

I have seen a tool "SwisSQL" which will data migration, what about Stored procedures(Procedures,Functions and Packages)

I have one task to do, which is migrating Oracle Stored Procedures to either MYSQL or SQL Server

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409810 is a reply to message #409804] Wed, 24 June 2009 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
"If I need to migrate all database objects from MYSQL to Oracle or viceversa, Do i need to write any code ?"

Most likely.

Quote:
I have one task to do, which is migrating Oracle Stored Procedures to either MYSQL or SQL Server

Migration is not just difference on language, it is difference in transaction management, locking, concurrency and so on.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409819 is a reply to message #391503] Wed, 24 June 2009 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@Michel,

Thanks for the reply,

What sort of Code do we need to write ? Please give me some example,

Assume that I have copied all the tables/views/indexes from Source(SQL Server) to Target(Oracle)

Do we have some built in Packages for data migration ?
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409836 is a reply to message #409819] Wed, 24 June 2009 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Read Tom Kyte first chapter of his book. It clearly explain with an example the differences between some databases and the consequences.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409939 is a reply to message #409836] Wed, 24 June 2009 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

As per as i know; I have done MySQL <=> Oracle <=> SQL Server <=> PostgreSQL

>>Assume that I have copied all the tables/views/indexes from
Source (SQL Server) to Target(Oracle)

Yes. SQL Server Tables structure slightly different from oracle table structure (I mean some data type vary from sql server and oracle)

This case you may need to write Java or VB Program.

Babu
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409964 is a reply to message #409939] Wed, 24 June 2009 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

But how do you copy the stored procedures ? do you rewrite it ? or use some mechanism/tool ?

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409966 is a reply to message #409964] Wed, 24 June 2009 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>>But how do you copy the stored procedures ? do you rewrite it ? or use some mechanism/tool ?

Good Question; For T-SQL you may need to re-write to Oracle

Thanks
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409973 is a reply to message #409966] Wed, 24 June 2009 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@gentlebabu,

What if It is a very lenghty stored procedure, Do we have any tools which will take care of checking the syntaxes and converting it to a desired format ?

Please share your experience as you have mentioned that you have done it before.

What is the normal tendancy of a Data Migration Project, does it involve converting stored procedures/triggers as well ?
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409982 is a reply to message #409973] Wed, 24 June 2009 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
My experience is that it can not be automated by and tools.

You need a developer who knows both databases to to the porting or even a complete re-write.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 June 2009 12:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #409984 is a reply to message #409982] Wed, 24 June 2009 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Quote:
What if It is a very lenghty stored procedure, Do we have any tools which will take care of checking the syntaxes and converting it to a desired format ?

>>My experience is that it can not be automated by and tools.

I agree Mr Thomas statement. Only manual method
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410026 is a reply to message #391503] Wed, 24 June 2009 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Hi,

Thanks for the information,

You need a developer who knows both databases to to the porting or even a complete re-write.

Assume If i need to convert an SQL Server procedure to Oracle Server Procedure, It means that I need to understand the SQL Server Procedure and rewrite it in Oracle using Oracle Stored procedure.

But will it going to be a tedious process, We need to know how the procedure has been built, how does it linked to a different procedure (or function).

IF anybody worked on a migration project, would you suggest me the steps involved in it,And is it a normal situation where in the Data migration Project involves migrating SPs as well.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410031 is a reply to message #391503] Wed, 24 June 2009 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
One challenge is that MS SQL Server (SS) is a totally different beast with regards to locking & data consistency.

Things like temporary table which are frequently used in SS applications are not needed in a well designed Oracle application.

So if this conversion will maximize Oracle's capabilities, additional time will be spent to modify the application code.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410086 is a reply to message #410031] Thu, 25 June 2009 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
And when you think about it, the steps ...

1) Read SQLServer procedures.
2) Figure out what they do.
3) Adjust the processing so that it fit's the Oracle way.
4) Write Oracle procedures.

*Might* actually take longer than to re-write the Oracle procedures from the original specifications, and never reading the SQLServer ones.

For example, what is done with three procedures, a CMD script and a few temporary tables COULD possibly be done in Oracle with one procedure and a cursor loop.

When you would have to declare dozens of customs types and dozens of variables in SQLServer, perhaps you could just use a ROWTYPE in Oracle.

One example that comes to mind, I once took about two days to understand what a 3000 line SQLServer procedure did, and then only 2-3 hours to rewrite it into about 200 lines of Oracle code.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410099 is a reply to message #391503] Thu, 25 June 2009 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@ThomasG,

Thanks for your wonderful explanation, I really understood the concepts.

I always thought that a Tool will take care of converting the procedures.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410100 is a reply to message #391503] Thu, 25 June 2009 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nitinkumarbe

Hi

There is a tool called SwisSQL that can be used to Migrate Oracle to SQL Server.

Nitin
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410108 is a reply to message #410100] Thu, 25 June 2009 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Then try to migrate the following simple procedure with that tool, and see what happens:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION save_to_number(INCHAR IN VARCHAR) RETURN NUMBER AS
  v_temp_number NUMBER;
BEGIN
  v_temp_number := To_Number(INCHAR);
  RETURN v_temp_number;
EXCEPTION
  WHEN OTHERS THEN
    RETURN -1;
END;
/

The result is:

--ADVENTNET DROP SCRIPTS 
If Exists ( SELECT name 
            FROM sysobjects  
            WHERE name = 'save_to_number'
            AND type = 'FN')
	DROP FUNCTION save_to_number
GO 
CREATE FUNCTION save_to_number
(
	@INCHAR                                   VARCHAR(4000) 
)
RETURNS FLOAT 
AS 
	BEGIN

DECLARE @adv_rowcount INT

DECLARE @adv_error INT

DECLARE @v_temp_number                            NUMERIC(38) 
		SELECT @v_temp_number  = CONVERT(NUMERIC(8, 2), @INCHAR)

RETURN @v_temp_number
		GOTO ExitLabel1
		Exception1:

BEGIN

RETURN -1 
			/* AdventNet SwisSQL (Oracle To SQL Server) : Manual Intervention to verify Exception is required */
			END
		ExitLabel1:

RETURN @v_temp_number

END

GO
 ########################################################################################################
 --ADVENTNET DROP SCRIPTS
IF Exists ( SELECT name FROM sysobjects 
            WHERE name = 'POPULATE_SQLERRM'            AND type = 'P')
            DROP PROCEDURE POPULATE_SQLERRM
            GO

CREATE PROCEDURE POPULATE_SQLERRM
 AS 
  BEGIN 
 --ADVENTNET DROP SCRIPTS
            WHERE name = 'ADV_SQLERRS'            AND type = 'U')
  BEGIN    DROP TABLE ADV_SQLERRS  END
      CREATE TABLE ADV_SQLERRS (NAME VARCHAR(100),ERROR_CODE INTEGER, ERROR_MESSAGE VARCHAR(4000)) 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX',-1,'ORA-00001: unique constraint (.) violated' ) 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('INVALID_CURSOR',-1001,'ORA-01001: invalid cursor') 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('INVALID_NUMBER',-1722,'ORA-01722: invalid number') 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('ZERO_DIVIDE',-1476,'ORA-01476: divisor is equal to zero') 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('TOO_MANY_ROWS',-1422,'ORA-01422: exact fetch returns more than requested number of rows') 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('NO_DATA_FOUND',100,'ORA-01403: no data found') 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('ACCESS_INTO_NULL',-6530,'ORA-06530: Reference to uninitialized composite') 
       INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('CURSOR_ALREADY_OPEN',-6511,'ORA-06511: PL/SQL: cursor already open') 
      INSERT INTO ADV_SQLERRS VALUES ('VALUE_ERROR',-6502,'ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error') 
 END 
 GO

--ADVENTNET SCRIPTS to be executed
EXEC POPULATE_SQLERRM
GO

--ADVENTNET DROP SCRIPTS
            WHERE name = 'ADV_SET_EXCEPTION'            AND type = 'P')
            DROP PROCEDURE ADV_SET_EXCEPTION
            GO

CREATE PROCEDURE ADV_SET_EXCEPTION ( @name VARCHAR(50) )
 AS
  BEGIN
       DECLARE @context_info_var VARBINARY(128)
       DECLARE @len INTEGER
       SELECT @len = LEN(@name)
       WHILE @len < 30
       BEGIN
               SELECT @name = @name + SPACE(1)
               SELECT @len = @len + 1
       END
       SELECT @context_info_var = CAST (@name AS VARBINARY(128))
       SET CONTEXT_INFO @context_info_var
  END 
 GO

--ADVENTNET DROP SCRIPTS
            WHERE name = 'ADV_GET_SQLERRM'            AND type = 'FN')
            DROP FUNCTION ADV_GET_SQLERRM
            GO

CREATE FUNCTION ADV_GET_SQLERRM (@name VARCHAR(50) )
  RETURNS VARCHAR(4000)
  AS
  BEGIN
         IF ISNUMERIC(@name) = 1
         BEGIN
                RETURN 'User-Defined Exception'
         END
         DECLARE @adv_sqlErrm VARCHAR(4000)
         SELECT @context_info_var = CONTEXT_INFO  FROM master.dbo.sysprocesses WHERE SPID=@@SPID
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = CAST (@context_info_var AS VARCHAR)
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = SUBSTRING(@adv_sqlErrm,1,30)
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = RTRIM(@adv_sqlErrm)
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = error_message FROM adv_sqlerrs WHERE name = @adv_sqlErrm
         RETURN @adv_sqlErrm
  END
 GO

--ADVENTNET DROP SCRIPTS
            WHERE name = 'ADV_GET_SQLCODE'            AND type = 'FN')
            DROP FUNCTION ADV_GET_SQLCODE
            GO

CREATE FUNCTION ADV_GET_SQLCODE (@name VARCHAR(50) )
  RETURNS INTEGER
  AS
  BEGIN
         IF ISNUMERIC(@name) = 1
         BEGIN
                 RETURN 1
         END
         DECLARE @adv_sqlErrm VARCHAR(4000)
         DECLARE @adv_sqlcode INTEGER
         SELECT @context_info_var = CONTEXT_INFO  FROM master.dbo.sysprocesses WHERE SPID=@@SPID
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = CAST (@context_info_var AS VARCHAR)
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = SUBSTRING(@adv_sqlErrm,1,30)
         SELECT @adv_sqlErrm = RTRIM(@adv_sqlErrm)
         SELECT @adv_sqlcode = error_code FROM adv_sqlerrs WHERE name = @adv_sqlErrm
         RETURN @adv_sqlcode
  END
  GO

And the code doesn't even work, it throws a "Error Converting datatype varchar to numeric" error when there are non-numeric characters in the input string.

It is faster in 99% of all cases, and better in 100% of cases to rewrite the code on the target system than to try messing with automated conversion tools.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410110 is a reply to message #410100] Thu, 25 June 2009 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Nitin,
SWISSQL will convert database objects like tables/views and not stored procedures
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410178 is a reply to message #410110] Thu, 25 June 2009 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>>It is faster in 99% of all cases, and better in 100% of cases to rewrite the code on the target system than to try messing with automated conversion tools.

Good work.

Ashok,

Quote:
SwisSQL offers automated stored procedure migration tools to migrate stored procedures along with Tables (schema), Views, Indexes, and SQL statements across Oracle, MS SQL Server, IBM DB2 UDB, and Sybase ASE databases.

http://www.swissql.com/

I'm not sure; how SWISSQL migrading T-SQL to PL/SQL. Can you check this tool?

Thanks
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410180 is a reply to message #410178] Thu, 25 June 2009 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Babu,

I believe it will not migrate the Stored Procedures, I have tried only the objects. That's why i got the doubt of how to migrate Stored Procedures.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410191 is a reply to message #410180] Thu, 25 June 2009 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Yes ashok; I'm also thinking like that only. But I would like to test this tool; That's why I suggess to you.

Thanks
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410192 is a reply to message #391503] Thu, 25 June 2009 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Babu,

http://www.swissql.com/products/datamigration/datamigration_demo.html

Check out this, This contains a Video presentation.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410193 is a reply to message #410192] Thu, 25 June 2009 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Thanks Ashok.

I'm already testing this tool; Once I got update; I'll update you.

Thanks
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410194 is a reply to message #391503] Thu, 25 June 2009 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Babu,

Appreciate your concern Smile
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410196 is a reply to message #410194] Thu, 25 June 2009 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Ashok; Got update.

Source Code:
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
-- =============================================
-- Author: Arun kumar 
-- Create date: 25 JUN 2009
-- Description: Testing 
CREATE PROCEDURE SUMOFTWO

AS

BEGIN

declare @a int 
declare @b int 
declare @c int 

Set @a=10
Set @b=20

Set @c=@a+@b

print @c
select @c

END
GO

Target
/* @(#)C:\AdventNet\SwisSQL\SQLServerToOracle3.2/testing_PL.sql  - Generated by AdventNet SwisSQL (SQLServer To oracle) Conversion tool.*/

-- Author: Arun kumar  
-- Create date: 25 JUN 2009 
-- Description: Testing  
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE SUMOFTWO
(
	RCT1                        IN  OUT 	GLOBALPKG.RCT1
)
AS
	a                          int;
	b                          int;
	c                          int;  
	BEGIN  	
		a  :=  10; 	
		b  :=  20; 	
		c  :=  a + b; 
		DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(  CAST(c AS VARCHAR2));

OPEN RCT1 FOR 
		SELECT SUMOFTWO.c
		FROM  SYS.DUAL;
	END;
/

/* @(#)GLOBALPKG.sql  - Generated by AdventNet SwisSQL (SQLServer To oracle) Conversion tool.*/
CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE GLOBALPKG
AS
	TYPE RCT1 IS REF CURSOR;
	TRANCOUNT INTEGER := 0;
	IDENTITY INTEGER;
END;
/

PS: We testd only simple code Smile
Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 25 June 2009 11:28]

Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410200 is a reply to message #391503] Thu, 25 June 2009 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

Babu,

That's awesome, When I saw the video, I observed only the Database objects apart from Procedures. But Your example suggests that It wil be taken care,

May be we need to try out some complicated stuffs and see whether the tool is capable of handling it.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410201 is a reply to message #410200] Thu, 25 June 2009 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>>May be we need to try out some complicated stuffs and see whether the tool is capable of handling it.

Yes; We need to try complicatd program.

Thanks
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410599 is a reply to message #391503] Mon, 29 June 2009 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groutad
To perform data migration, you could look at an open source ETL tool. It can perform the migration from an Oracle base to MySQL as it has adapted connectors for both.

Talend Open Studio (Talend.com) is an open source ETL tool for data integration and migration experts. The program also has a user-friendly GUI, easy to learn for a non-technical user.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410600 is a reply to message #410599] Mon, 29 June 2009 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@Groutad,

Yeah..I know about Talend, But will it even migrate Stored Procedures ??? If you observe the previous posts, thats what our discussion involved

Regards,
Ashoka BL
devanampriya@gmail.com
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410608 is a reply to message #410600] Mon, 29 June 2009 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groutad
Hi Ashoka,

Actually, Talend Open Studio can migrate the data to a sql server. About stored procedures in Oracle, Talend has not implemented this feature.

Have you used Talend in previous data integration / migration jobs?

Thanks.
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #410617 is a reply to message #410608] Mon, 29 June 2009 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

No,

I haven't used Talend,but heard(In Office..) I use OWB and Informatica
Re: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration [message #419942 is a reply to message #391503] Wed, 26 August 2009 04:43 Go to previous message
wonn1377
I use data loader for migrating almost any data, it helps me to convert Oracle to MYSQL, MS access to MSSQL, mysql, csv loader, foxpro and MSSQL to MS access, MYSQl, CSV, foxpro etc. In my view this is a best Data Migration Tool, i downloaded on www.???.com

[Updated on: Wed, 14 October 2009 09:32] by Moderator

Previous Topic: Relational databases that do not support stored procedures.
Next Topic: Licensing: Oracle Database XE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:31:56 CDT 2024