Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter (oracle 10.2.0.4 for x86 on windows xp sp3)
TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389390] Sun, 01 March 2009 14:33 Go to next message
pratmh
Dear Experts,

I am unable to sort this problem for the last three days now. I had been installing and using Oracle 10gR2 on my Windows XP laptop since two years successfully. But that was until I decided to use Oracle Database Control. Its my official laptop and we use DHCP in our company. While trying to use DB Control, I faced several problems for which metalink and various forums suggested to configure Microsoft Loopback adapter and assign a private IP to it and then again reinstal the Oracle software. I dis exactly that. Dropped my test databases, uninstalled binaries properly, restrated the laptop and configured the Loopback adapter as described on the microsoft site folloed by the assigning a IP to the newly configured network adapter. I made an appropriate entry in my /etc/hosts file assigning the output of my 'hostname' command to the newly configured IP.

Then I installed Oracle 10gR2 software and applied patch 10.2.0.4 without any problem. Then I configured the listener which took almost 10 minutes of abnornal time. Now when I check the status of the listener, it waits for few minutes and then displays the given error:

C:\>lsnrctl stat

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on 02-MAR-2009 00:58:48

Copyright (c) 1991, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=wipro-bf60a7ec6.wipro.com)(PORT=1521)))
TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
TNS-00517: Lost contact
32-bit Windows Error: 54: Unknown error
Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC0)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias LISTENER
Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
Start Date 02-MAR-2009 00:52:21
Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 9 min. 38 sec
Trace Level admin
Security ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP OFF
Listener Parameter File E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\listener.ora
Listener Log File E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\log\listener.log
Listener Trace File E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\trace\listener.trc
Listening Endpoints Summary...
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=wipro-bf60a7ec6.wipro.com)(PORT=1521)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC0ipc)))
Services Summary...
Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
The command completed successfully

Why I am convinced is that the problem relates to loopback adapter is everything (including the DB control problems Sad ) once I deconfigure the loopback adapter. Now I know that I need to use loopback adapter to avoid errors with DB Control, but it has stuck me in another problem for which no help seems to be available on net either. I am attaching the output of various lsnrctl commands that I executed on command prompt, contents of listener.ora file, sqlnet.ora file, 'etc\hosts' file and the contents of listner.trc file (I have set the trace level to ADMIN.

please analyze the given outputs and error messages and come up with your suggestions and remedies. It would be of great help to me in sorting out this troublesome issue.

Regards
Picks
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389414 is a reply to message #389390] Sun, 01 March 2009 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Metalink note 277780.1, "10g Installation Errors When Host is Configured For DHCP".

Regards
Michel
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389439 is a reply to message #389414] Mon, 02 March 2009 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratmh
Thanks for the reply Michel.

This is exactly what I am following. Infact, I have had read the same note and then followed the mentioned Microsoft note for congiguring the loopback adapter. And afetr configuring the loopback adapter only, I am facing this problem as mentioned in the prior problem description.

Any further suggestions would be of great help.

Regards.
Picks
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389579 is a reply to message #389390] Mon, 02 March 2009 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratmh
Hi All,

Another update from my side. Normally i login on my official laptop by specifying username, password and my company 'domain name', even when laptop is not connected to comapny LAN. So just to ensure that it has nothing to do with domain settings, I created another local user, gave it administrator rights and assigned to ora_dba group. Then I uninstalled Oracle from my domain name user, deconfigured the loopback adater and restarted the system and logged in with new local user. Then I configured the loopback adapter freshly followed by a new Oracle 10gR2 installation. Everything went fine as usual, but as soon as I tried to create the listener, the same hang and 'TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact' resurfaced.

This is really driving me crazy and making me pity on self for my inability to do a clean installation on Windows!! I request someone of you folks try the same on Windows XP service pack 3 using Loopback Adapter and revert with the results.

Looking forward to your views/suggestions/experiences...

Picks
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389684 is a reply to message #389579] Tue, 03 March 2009 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

what's your listner log file size??? If it's reached 2G then try to take backup/delete and then try to reload/start your listener.

Babu
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389698 is a reply to message #389390] Tue, 03 March 2009 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratmh
Thanx for the reply Babu.

But this is a fresh Oracle installation and the size of Oracle listener.log file is not more than few KBs.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Regds
Picks
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389699 is a reply to message #389698] Tue, 03 March 2009 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

1/ Remove your listener.

2/ Create your listener (Host Name should be "LocalHost")

Try to connect and find your status.

Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389719 is a reply to message #389390] Tue, 03 March 2009 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratmh
Hi Babu,

Thanx for the reply. Using 'localhost' would surely make the listener work properly, but that defeat the very purpose of using Loopback Adapter and its static IP in a DHCP environment.

Regds
Picks
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389824 is a reply to message #389719] Tue, 03 March 2009 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>> Loopback Adapter and its static IP in a DHCP

I think this is not require; If your working in office; then just change your host name from TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA.

From home you can always use localhost
Re: TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact when using Microsoft loopback adapter [message #389826 is a reply to message #389390] Tue, 03 March 2009 12:36 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Simply put, SQL*Net is NOT required to interact with Oracle RDBMS.

Previous Topic: got the TNS-03505. but all the configuration is OK,
Next Topic: Listener wouldn't start though correctly defined in LISTENER.ORA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:06:14 CDT 2024