Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Does anyone use dynamic sql to create temp tables in production environment?
Does anyone use dynamic sql to create temp tables in production environment? [message #40028] Wed, 04 September 2002 06:31 Go to next message
Jeff Adrian
If anyone uses dynamic sql to create and drop temporary tables in a production environment, I would appreciate a rationale for it that DBA's could accept. The only issue is size of the tablespace it exists in, as far as I know.
Re: Does anyone use dynamic sql to create temp tables in production environment? [message #40031 is a reply to message #40028] Wed, 04 September 2002 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Not what you want to hear, I know, but I can only argue _against_ dynamically creating/dropping temp tables:

1) Usually there really is no need for a temp table - many people seem to like to break things into superfluous steps.

2) If a temp table is absolutely needed in a rare case, it should be created once, outside of a procedure, as a global temporary table and referenced within code.
Re: Does anyone use dynamic sql to create temp tables in production environment? [message #40034 is a reply to message #40028] Wed, 04 September 2002 13:19 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
i agree with todd
Previous Topic: Execute Immediate
Next Topic: Difference between AS and IS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:55:16 CDT 2024