Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN (Oracle Database, 11.1.0.7.0, RHEL 4.6 64BIT)
BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #387746] Fri, 20 February 2009 08:07 Go to next message
andydba
Hello,

I have a 1.5 TB database and that can go up to 3TB.

I have been asked to implement backup for this database using RMAN.

My application generates 70GB of archived logs every hour. MAX_MEMORY_TARGET for the database is 50GB and MEMORY_TARGET is 30GB. Database is running in AMM (Automatic Memory Management) mode.Flash recovery area is 400GB. I have a backup area of 1 TB.

MY plan is as follows:

Do a backup of archived logs every two hours and delete the input files to clear up flash recovery area. After two cycles of archive log backup, I delete old archive log backups.

Do a compressed Level 0 Backup on Sunday (This will take roughly 6 hours) to do a complete backup with 4 disk channels allocated to it.

Do a differential compressed Level 1 backup on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Do a cumulative compressed Level 1 backup on Thursday

Do a differential compressed Level 1 backup on Fri and Sat

My question to all of you is:

Is my plan right?
Is there any other approach I should be considering or taking?
Is doing an image copy a better option? Will it require the same size of disk that we have for the database?

Thanks
Andy
Re: BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #387772 is a reply to message #387746] Fri, 20 February 2009 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Is my plan right?
Only time can certify that.
All we can do is, test it rigorously, script and document the procedures and test it frequently( by restoring /duplicating to another node/area). This way you can minimize any surprises.

Make sure you have enabled BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING.
With 11g, some very cool options are introduced.
Did you play with the ZLIB compression in 11g? There are pros and cons.
Also see if you can make use of multisection backups.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmbckad.htm#BRADV89543
Advantage is that you can really run this in parallel (real parallel mode).

>>Is doing an image copy a better option? Will it require the same size of disk that we have for the database?
Depends.
Look into incrementally updated backups.
Re: BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #387774 is a reply to message #387746] Fri, 20 February 2009 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Backups without a documented & tested Recovery Plan, is a waste of time & effort.

When the worst happens, you need to be able to print a copy of the EXACT steps which need to be executed to (re)produce a functioning DB.

Producing the backup plan is the easy part.
Now you need to focus on the RECOVERY action plan.
Re: BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #387777 is a reply to message #387746] Fri, 20 February 2009 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andydba
Mahesh: Thanks for your reply. I will look into the options you told for sure.

BlackSwan: Thanks for your reply too. I know, Backups without documented and tested recovery plan is a waste of time and effort.

I have not implemented anything yet. I was just thinking about the approach I should take for this size of Database.

I just wanted to check with you guys about the approach I am about to take. Database with 1 to 3 TB in size considered to be a good big size for the database.

I would be doing recovery testing and all kind of documentation that is needed.

If the approach I am taking is on the right path...I will do all required documentation and testing recovery. I also know that recovery of this database is gonna take good amount of time. The base backup restore would be the most time consuming part and applying incremental backup would be on the faster side.

Thanks
Andy
Re: BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #388123 is a reply to message #387746] Mon, 23 February 2009 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahudspith
Mahesh has provided almost the same answer that I would have written.

Nothing wrong with your plan - just needs testing somehow ... and on a 3Gb database that might be a problem.

Restoring one or two files to /tmp on another server just doesnt cut it in my book really...
Re: BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #388146 is a reply to message #387746] Mon, 23 February 2009 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andydba
Thanks for all your replies.

I have asked for same size of storage on a different server to do the recovery testing.

I would be implementing this soon and will share my experience with all of you.

Thank You,
Andy

Re: BACKING UP DATABASE WITH RMAN [message #389423 is a reply to message #387746] Mon, 02 March 2009 00:29 Go to previous message
alexzeng
If changes on the db are very frequently, I suggest you use cumulative incremental backup all the other day. It could be more efficient when restore.
Regards,
Alex
Previous Topic: Recovery statement in standard Oracle backup Script ??
Next Topic: backup with rman
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:16:19 CDT 2024