Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » how to use INDEX? (oracle 10.2.0.1.0, win xp, sqlplus)
how to use INDEX? [message #386335] Fri, 13 February 2009 18:05 Go to next message
dandeliondream
Hi,

I understand that we can create index by
CREATE INDEX CustomerID on CUSTOMER(C#);

However, how do we use it? How to display the result?
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386336 is a reply to message #386335] Fri, 13 February 2009 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
So we can help you

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/schema.htm#sthref895

Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386345 is a reply to message #386336] Fri, 13 February 2009 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
Dear BlackSwan,

BlackSwan wrote on Sat, 14 February 2009 06:05
So we can help you

In what way posting guideline is missing on OP's message. or do you have default message set up for all the replys. In earlier days Michel was use to write these lines. and I am frequently seeing all of your messages is forming part of this type of reply. in fact very few replies alone has done without these cautioning or advising notes. In general, many people welcome help without advise.

yours
dr.s.raghunathan

Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386347 is a reply to message #386336] Fri, 13 February 2009 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dandeliondream
BlackSwan wrote on Fri, 13 February 2009 18:35
So we can help you

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/schema.htm#sthref895

Hi BlackSwan,
I've read through the guidelines but i don't know what is missing in my post. Please advise.

Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386350 is a reply to message #386335] Fri, 13 February 2009 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Please advise.
Since answer to original post is clearly documented,
I doubt any serious attempt to RTFM was ever made!

From Posting Guidelines in URL previously posted.

Have I checked the Wiki page (this site's knowledge base)?
Did I search the board properly? Have I also tried the Site Search Engine?
Did I read the documentation? A lot of questions are answered there. Really.
Did I use Google? Even if your question hasn't been answered here, chances are that on other websites someone already has posted an answer.

Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386351 is a reply to message #386350] Fri, 13 February 2009 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dandeliondream
BlackSwan wrote on Fri, 13 February 2009 21:17
>Please advise.
Since answer to original post is clearly documented,
I doubt any serious attempt to RTFM was ever made!

From Posting Guidelines in URL previously posted.

Have I checked the Wiki page (this site's knowledge base)?
Did I search the board properly? Have I also tried the Site Search Engine?
Did I read the documentation? A lot of questions are answered there. Really.
Did I use Google? Even if your question hasn't been answered here, chances are that on other websites someone already has posted an answer.

I did try to search for answer online but most of the website only tell me how to create index and not how to use it after the index is created. I'm sorry if you do not accept question like this here...any inconvenience caused is regretted.
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386353 is a reply to message #386335] Fri, 13 February 2009 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyboy
dandeliondream wrote on Sat, 14 February 2009 01:05

You do not directly use it. However some queries might find benefitial to search in index instead of data. Oracle optimizer decides (based on and its knowledge) wherther to do so.

It is an analogy to the index in book, e.g. here: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/index.htm. It would be faster to search for desired text (e.g. "indexes") there than in the whole content of that document.

However, now I see, that the link BlackSwan contains the same:
Quote:
Overview of Indexes
Indexes are optional structures associated with tables and clusters. You can create indexes on one or more columns of a table to speed SQL statement execution on that table. Just as the index in this manual helps you locate information faster than if there were no index, an Oracle index provides a faster access path to table data. Indexes are the primary means of reducing disk I/O when properly used.

So I am curious, what you want to know...
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386354 is a reply to message #386335] Fri, 13 February 2009 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
The Posting Guidelines provided in previously posted URL contains
Useful sites section contain this line
The Online Documentation: your primary source for Oracle information
which points to http://tahiti.oracle.com
which contains the COMPLETE Oracle RDBMS documentation set
which includes the manual I included in my original post.

dandeliondream,
Did you read the Posting Guideline BEFORE I posted the URL?
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386366 is a reply to message #386335] Sat, 14 February 2009 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
dr.s.raghunathan,
Please explain & expound upon what your post contributes to the substance of the OP post and contributes to knowledge of Oracle.
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386387 is a reply to message #386366] Sat, 14 February 2009 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
dear BlackSwan,

Laughing
yours
dr.s.raghunathan
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386647 is a reply to message #386366] Mon, 16 February 2009 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
It may not contribute any more towards answering the question than your post, but in his attempt to stop your incessant, pointless, trivial forums rules posts, he does ORAFAQ as a whole a service.

Perhaps you would do well to live by your own advice:
Quote:
Please explain & expound upon what your post contributes to the substance of the OP post and contributes to knowledge of Oracle.
- the vast majority of your posts would fail this test.

OP: Indexes and performance tuning is a complex subject. There is a Performance Tuning forum on this board. If you read the FAQ from that, you should be able to gain a good grounding in the subject.
Re: how to use INDEX? [message #386653 is a reply to message #386353] Mon, 16 February 2009 07:41 Go to previous message
dandeliondream
flyboy wrote on Fri, 13 February 2009 21:44
dandeliondream wrote on Sat, 14 February 2009 01:05

You do not directly use it. However some queries might find benefitial to search in index instead of data. Oracle optimizer decides (based on and its knowledge) wherther to do so.

It is an analogy to the index in book, e.g. here: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/index.htm. It would be faster to search for desired text (e.g. "indexes") there than in the whole content of that document.

However, now I see, that the link BlackSwan contains the same:
Quote:
Overview of Indexes
Indexes are optional structures associated with tables and clusters. You can create indexes on one or more columns of a table to speed SQL statement execution on that table. Just as the index in this manual helps you locate information faster than if there were no index, an Oracle index provides a faster access path to table data. Indexes are the primary means of reducing disk I/O when properly used.

So I am curious, what you want to know...

Many thanks for your guidance. It means a lot to beginner like me.
Previous Topic: Converting Numbers into Wordings (merged)
Next Topic: Revoke DML on user's objects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 07:46:06 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06926 seconds