Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » What is the Oracle equivalent datatype to SQL Server int, smallint, tinyint and bit?
What is the Oracle equivalent datatype to SQL Server int, smallint, tinyint and bit? [message #3500] Mon, 30 September 2002 16:05 Go to next message
Mitra
Hello everyone,

I posted this question on Friday and no one have replied to my question.
I am new to ORACLE and i am trying to create manually our SQL SERVER database in ORACLE using ORACLE EM. And I also have a deadline to meet!!!
My question was regarding the ORACLE Column datatype NUMBER.
I've selected ORACLE datatype NUMBER for integer, smallint, tinyint, and bit datatypes in SQL SERVER. But what i am not sure about is what to enter for the SIZE property. Is the SIZE property in ORACLE the same as the LENGTH property in SQL Server, which is the number of bytes used to store a number?
Should i enter 4 for the SIZE of the columns with the integer datatype and 2 for smallint datatype and 1 for tinyint and bit datatypes or should i keep the default, 10, that ORACLE EM puts in for the SIZE property.

I appreciate if someone can give me some kind of ideas or suggestions.

Thanks for all the help!
Mitra
Re: What is the Oracle equivalent datatype to SQL Server int, smallint, tinyint and bit? [message #3505 is a reply to message #3500] Mon, 30 September 2002 23:37 Go to previous message
Gilbey
In oracle there are various subtypes of number like
dec, decimal, double, int, integer, numeric, real, smallint. They are provided in oracle SQL and PL/SQL in order to offer compatibility with ANSI SQL and DB2 datatypes. They have the same range of legal values as their base type.Let the default be 10 given by Oracle EM.

Gilbey
Previous Topic: UTl_file
Next Topic: updating using a procedure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 30 23:10:03 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12803 seconds