Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » user and password in DBURI (10G)
user and password in DBURI [message #378320] Tue, 30 December 2008 00:16 Go to next message
Kevin Meade
not sure what specific forum this goes in, sorry.

I am currently exploring the use of DBURI. I use the following:

http://flavius:8080/oradb/SCOTT/DEPT

which brings back the data just fine

<?xml version="1.0" ?> 
- <DEPT>
- <ROW>
  <DEPTNO>10</DEPTNO> 
  <DNAME>ACCOUNTING</DNAME> 
  <LOC>NEW YORK</LOC> 
  </ROW>
  </DEPT>

But it requires that I log in at least once per internet session. This requires a manual intervention from a person. Is there a way to include a user/pass in the DBURI somewhere so that this manual step can be bypassed? Otherwise, how do programs use this feature of the database with needing a live person? I have done lots of reading but so far no solution. Maybe it is not possible but that would mean this is a mostly useless feature for automation so I can't Oracle would be that stupid.

Thanks, Kevin

[Updated on: Tue, 30 December 2008 00:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: user and password in DBURI [message #378326 is a reply to message #378320] Tue, 30 December 2008 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I don't know DBURI, but some general way to do it for ftp and the alikes is described here
Hope this might help

[Edit: changed url to a more general site]

[mod-edit: fixed link by removing extra h in front of it]

[Updated on: Tue, 30 December 2008 02:44] by Moderator

Re: user and password in DBURI [message #378332 is a reply to message #378326] Tue, 30 December 2008 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Frank, I can't access your link.

Regards
Michel
Re: user and password in DBURI [message #378336 is a reply to message #378332] Tue, 30 December 2008 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Me either.
Re: user and password in DBURI [message #378367 is a reply to message #378332] Tue, 30 December 2008 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 30 December 2008 08:11
Frank, I can't access your link.

Regards
Michel

Contents of linked page
Specifying username/password in a URL
It is possible to specify a username (and password!) in a URL. For instance, when you specify an ftp: URL, your browser automatically logs in as user "anonymous" to the ftp server being connected to. You can specify a different username to use with the following syntax:

ftp://username@hostname/

Assuming a password is required, your browser will then prompt you for one.

It is even possible, but inadvisable, to put a password in a URL:

ftp://username:password@hostname/

This is unadvisable for several reasons. The URL being opened may be determinable by other users on the same machine on which you are browsing (as from a command line). The URL retrieved from the remote machine may be logged in some non-secure place on the remote machine. Your browser history would then also contain a copy of your password.

Microsoft is disabling support in Internet Explorer for this kind of information inclusion in HTTP and HTTPS protocol URLs.
Re: user and password in DBURI [message #378475 is a reply to message #378367] Tue, 30 December 2008 10:01 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
Thanks Frank. After reading your link and the other link it pointed to from MicroSoft, it appears there is no way to do it realistically. Apparently they used to allow user/pass info to be sent in the URL of an HTTP request from IE and Windows Explorer (I assume this means folders?). But as of IE 6.1, the default behaviour of IE is to not allow it anymore.

The article says that this default behavior only applies to IE and Window Explorer so I may still be able to use the syntax from other tools. I will have to figure out how DBURI can be used that way. Maybe this is not a bad thing. After all, getting XML this way into a browser window is not exactly a useful practice anyway.

Thanks everyone. If I find out more I will post it here.

Kevin x79427

[Updated on: Tue, 30 December 2008 10:02]

Previous Topic: cannot perform fetch on a pl sql statement
Next Topic: dates and null
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 09:17:51 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.18850 seconds