Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » passing values
passing values [message #38929] Tue, 28 May 2002 13:10 Go to next message
Toyn
Is there a way to gather a value, then insert/update that value to another table using a join?

update orders_test set (patient_id) =
(select distinct(a.phs_internal) from exams_mrns_temp a, bics_temp_orders b
where a.bwh_mrn_cleaned(+)=b.mrn);
ERROR at line 2:
ORA-01427: single-row subquery returns more than one row
So far, with my select statement, I'm able to retrieve the data that I want. The update fails because of the error listed. I want to insert the phs_internal into orders_test.patient_id where a.bwh_mrn_cleaned=b.mrn. However, missing from my join is the fact that I also want this number inserted where orders_test.order_num=bics_temp_orders.order_num. How can I incorporate this third table into my join logic? Thanks.
Re: passing values [message #38934 is a reply to message #38929] Tue, 28 May 2002 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
update orders_test t
   set patient_id =
  (select distinct(a.phs_internal)
     from exams_mrns_temp a, bics_temp_orders b
    where b.order_num = t.order_num
      and a.bwh_mrn_cleaned(+) = b.mrn);

Now that this is a correlated subquery, hopefully the subquery will return a maximum of one row for each row in orders_test - otherwise you will still see the ORA-01427 error.
Re: passing values [message #39777 is a reply to message #38929] Fri, 09 August 2002 07:57 Go to previous message
Dave
Todd,

Are you working in Access with this?

I have a field in a table (tbl_Patients) called Patient #. In my form I want to pass the Patient # value to a text box which will save to a different table (tbl_atty) to a field with the same name (Patient #)

Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you
Previous Topic: Using exp utility from a procedure or trigger
Next Topic: Outer Join appears not to work in Sql Plus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:58:32 CDT 2024