Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12505 ERROR MESSAGE
ORA-12505 ERROR MESSAGE [message #367839] Thu, 12 October 2000 03:04 Go to next message
Don M
I have NT db Server version 7.3.3 installed then renamed the db. I do believe that my procedure to rename the database was correct using the prescribed method of using the trace Controlfile.

The problem I have is I can't connect to the database with sqlplus when useing the following format "sqlplus name/password@db.world", however I can connect with "sqlplus name/password". When I try with the sqlnet involved I get an ORA-12505 error. I also receive this error when attempting to connect from a client.

The format of my tnsnames.ora file is:
db.world =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 999.999.999.999)
(PORT = 1521)
)
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 999.999.999.999)
(PORT = 1526)
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = DB)
)
)

Both the tnsnames on the server and client have these parameters included.

My client is a Solaris UNIX and the server is NT. I can successfully perform a tnsping from the client to the NT server.

I also have another database residing within the UNIX envirionment (both systems are in the same domain). From the client (NT machine) I can successfully open up a SQL session with "sqlplus name/password@unixdb.world" on the UNIX db server.

The results point to my configuration of the NT server, but where? Where can I be going wrong? Please assist if you have ideas of things to try.

Thanks..........
Re: ORA-12505 ERROR MESSAGE [message #367857 is a reply to message #367839] Mon, 06 November 2000 05:16 Go to previous message
Indira Morishetty
1)You are able to open a session for the DB on NT server directly, but
2)You are unable to connect to the DB via SQL*Net.

So obviously there is something wrong with the alias for the DB in tnsnames.ora file on NT Server.

Check whether your alias is pointing to the right DB (i.e., check whether Service Name and Host Name are given correctly)

Please make sure to change the Service Name in the above file as you have renamed the DB, correspoding to which make sure to have a handler registered with the listener on NT server.
You can obtain the list of databases which have handlers with the listener by giving the following command at OS promptof NT Server.

lsnrctl services

Thanks
Indira Morishetty
Previous Topic: Adding months
Next Topic: Merits of SPX over TCP/IP on a Novell Network
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:39:29 CDT 2024