Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » distributing search results over several html pages
distributing search results over several html pages [message #367836] Sat, 07 October 2000 13:44
Lukas Smith
I am wondering how search sites can distribute query results over several pages without getting boggeddown too much.

Basically I can think of several ways of doing this:
1) first always query for all data
If I want to display 10 results a page I will use the first 10, then the 11-20 etc
this is a simple but total unuseable way once the data I am returned gets to be too much, like someone searches for "mp3" on altavista.

1.1) mysql features a limit function
This way I would only have to query for the first 10 for the first page
for the first 20 on the next query etc when using a 10 row offset.

2) make the data more "permanet" by creating a temporary table (view)
If I could somehow add a Index-Column to the view I could always query for exactly the data i need. I don't know how that could be done.

For example I need the 10th Page with a 10 row offset, I could query them directly with the proper where statement (WHERE temp_id between 91 and 100)

Issues here would be when to erase the view again, which could be handled by a session system which most sites implement one way of the other allready.
Second I don't know how view's are really implemented internaly, I assume they are stored in the Servers Ram. Question here is could this be a greater performance killer than the problem I was trying to fix in the first place?

thx in adavance for any input

Lukas Smith
Previous Topic: net8 client
Next Topic: dbsnmp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:19:58 CDT 2024