Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle Names - Registering Database SID's
Oracle Names - Registering Database SID's [message #367720] Fri, 17 December 1999 02:30
ravi verma
Hi,
I tried to use Oracle names to connect to databases from clients . Things work fine if I use the GUI .
However , for our product, we will be doing network wide installation . So, we need to know how to perform all the configuration required for Oracle Names,using file modification or via tools like namesctl .

The problem arises with registering services for databases .

Assume that I have a database called sun running on machine "db_server" and a names server on machine called "names_server" and the database client on machine called "db_client" .

Now, after following all the steps given in the documentation, I am able to register the service sun.world with the names server using dynamic discovery option, but when I try to connect to the database, I get the message "Could not reslove service name" .

However, if I use the net8 assistant gui to add the service for sun.world, filling in all the parameters, and then try to connect to the database sun, there is no problem . Any idea why ?

TIA,
Ravi .
Previous Topic: Help!! Need to Connect to O7(SPX)v1 listener from o8i
Next Topic: I need to get 8.0 SQLNet V2 TCP/IP Client libraries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:05:25 CDT 2024