Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » "Dumb" Question
"Dumb" Question [message #367676] Fri, 17 September 1999 11:34 Go to next message
Mike Sabo
I will start off by Saying that I do not know much about Oracle. So please bear that in mind when reading this.

I am trying to access an Orcale Database and am being told (from the documentation) that I need to have SQL*NET installed on my machine in order to make this connection. (NOTE: I am using a Lotus Domino Server to do the accessing, so this is not like am am doing a staight ORacle query.)

Anyway my question is, where do I get SQL*NET? Does that install when I install Oracle? Do I have to start it up somehow, or configure it at all?

Thank you in advance for any help

Mike
Re: "Dumb" Question [message #367682 is a reply to message #367676] Mon, 27 September 1999 19:03 Go to previous message
Andrew Lenz
SQL*Net is way an Oracle Client "talks" to the Oracle Server (usually over TCP/IP). It is installed with the server and/or client installation.

You will need to setup the tnsnames.ora file in $ORACLE_HOME\net80\admin for 8.x or $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin for 7.x.
If you installed Oracle 8 use the Net8 Assistance to setup this file. Or, you can edit it by hand using a text editor. Copy one of the default entries and change it to match your database in instance name, IP address (for tcp/ip) and port number.

If you want to alias your db as "oraprod", have ip address 150.150.50.15, listener is set to port 1528, and the instance name is "orcl" the entry in the tnsnames.ora file (for tcp/ip connection only)
would be:
oraprod.world =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 150.150.50.15)
(Port = 1528)
)
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = orcl)