Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » connection problem- from oracle8 client to oracle7.1 server
connection problem- from oracle8 client to oracle7.1 server [message #367619] Wed, 31 March 1999 03:53 Go to next message
DUTT
Problem: My machine is oracle 8 client and developer 2k version 2.0 has installed on the same machine. We have two windows NT servers. One of them is Oracle 7.1 server and the other is oracle8 servers. I am not able to connect to Oracle7 server from oracle8 client. Please guide me in resolving this problem.
Regards
Dutt
Re: connection problem- from oracle8 client to oracle7.1 server [message #367623 is a reply to message #367619] Mon, 19 April 1999 00:50 Go to previous message
Flex
Hi
Oracle 8 uses NET8 , which is the replacement of old SQL*NET. As as result, oracle has made slight changed to the directory structures also. The old SqlNET configuration files will still be residing on %ORACLE_HOME%/NETWORK/ADMIN where as the new NET8 config files will be in %ORACLE_HOME%/NET80/ADMIN.

Since the query is not very descriptive, let me list all the scenarios here.

1. You are able to connect to O8 instance from your cleint but cannot connect to the O7 instance using the same tool.
Well, this is a a very unlikely possiblity. Is so exists, then please verify your connect strings are setup properly. Check the Database listener is running on the O7 server. Verify the listener ports config on listener.ora and your tnsnames.ora file. If still problem persists, please forward the ORacle error to me, and I can help you further.

2.You are able to connect O8/O7 servers from NET8 products(SQLPLUS80, EM, etc...). But not able to connect from d2k tools.

Well, if this is the case, the D2K 2.0 is an old product and uses SQLNET2. And you maynot be having the configuration file needed. Check TNSNAMES.ORA exists in %ORACLE_HOME%/NETWORK/ADMIN. If not either run, SQLNET Easy Config ( Not NET8 Easy Config) or copy the TNSNAMES.ORA file from %ORACLE_HOME%/NET80/admin to this directory.

I could list more scenarios here. But I'm short of time now. I beleive one of the above must be your case. If the problem coudn't be solved, please forward the ORA error that pops up. and I will fix it up for you

Regards

Flex
Previous Topic: DBLink Timeout
Next Topic: Connecting Sql*net 2.3.4 to Oracle 8.0.5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:50:52 CDT 2024